Will single pole baseboard thermostat work?

Emilys3guppies

Songster
Jun 1, 2009
Toronto
My hardware store didn't have any hot water thermostats but they did have single pole baseboard thermostat. It looks extremely similar and I imagine does the exact same job, but I did want to check.

Same thing? Will it serve the same purpose?

Thanks!

The temp span is 40 deg f to 180 deg f.

I wired it in and am waiting for it all to come to temp so I can figure where to best set it to get the right temp.

Thanks!

Set the thermostat to turn the light on at 99 degrees. Do not worry about what temp the thermostat turns it back off untill you have it set to come on a 99. Once that is set then start moveing the thermostat closer to the light till the thermostat kicks off at the temp you want (about 101).

Thermostat controls light kick on temp. Thermostats distance from the light controls light kick off temp. Thermostat sensitivity is irrelevant.

Quote:
Does this information become moot if one has a fan in their incubator?

Thank you, btw, for helping me out here. I appreciate it.

No the fan moves convection heat(hot air moved around). Radiant heat(light energy) is not affected by a fan. If the fan is blowing right on the thermostat it may need to be a little closer to the light to have the same affect that it would have had with the fan a little farther away.

Will this do what my WH thermostat did, turn on at 97 degrees, but not turn off till 106? I realize the average is what folks are going for, but I was too afraid to leave that in the homemade bator so I bought another wafer thermostat and that works fine.

Quote:
The WH stat will cycle more the closer it is to the light, making the span of temperature closer. Basically the stat closes at the base temp, turning the light on, the bulb is very hot and heats up the stat fast kicking it out before the temp in the bator can rise to a unsafe level.

Back
Top Bottom