Will sliding coop door have leak issue?

Trevorn

In the Brooder
Apr 2, 2020
Hi Everyone,

I am new to this community and taking care of chickens.

I am very excited about building my first coop. I am following the plans at https://www.thecreativemom.com/free-chicken-coop-plans/
I am nearing the finish line here but then I realized that the coop only had a cut out for the "door" but no actual door. I busted out my Google kungfu and found some neat articles about making a sliding door. Here is one example

My question is this though. After looking at numerous videos online about making the sliding door, it looks like there would be about a 1/4" gap between the door and coop when closed which would let rain in. I do not have the option to make the sliding door on the inside of my coop because I have framing in the way that would prevent the door from sliding vertical or horizontal. This means the door would have to be on the outside of the coop. My roof would have about a 2-4" overhang but this wouldn't really help in strong windblown rain.

Any thoughts on the matter or am I just overthinking this?

Thank you for your time/help

Trev

It hasn't turned out to be a problem for me. A tiny bit of moisture (even if any comes in) isn't going to matter. As for air, well... make sure you have more ventilation than you might get from a little crack above the door. You don't need ventilation blowing across roosting areas, but you do need LOTS of ventilation--far more than any insulation (not needed). Also don't worry about providing heat. They don't need it and if the power goes out they won't be physically ready for it. Whatever you do, don't give them heat lamps no matter how well secured. Many chickens (and some people) have died that way.

Oy! I made that coop with many modifications. It's so hard to work with the chickens in that set up but I hope it works out better for you.
I did at hinged top door that was under the secure run roof so I didn't have any issues with water intrusion.
You can look at this link to see the modifications I did the the design to increase ventilation and light.
Good luck.

Thanks for the info guys.
I like your mods DobieLover. I have made some of my own as well. I will have to post some pictures when its all said and done. Maybe I will just use the flip up style door. Gotta look for some spare hinges in my stuff so I don't have to go out ;)

2 possible ideas:

1) Make a lip on the bottom of the door frame, and that should block off that gap. Just a strip of scrap wood an inch or two tall is fine. Chickens can easily step over it. It'll also provide additional predator protection as critters (like coons) can't hook their claws under the door and simply lift it.

2) Make an awning of some sort to go over the pop door. I had rain blowing into my coop through the pop door sometimes, so I cobbled together this to keep the rain out:
coopnew2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom