Will splayed legs fix on their own?

Sorry for your loss.
I need help please. I don't want to give up on this chick. I had 2 chicks that were born this way (different breeds). One recovered spontaneously but the other is not well. I have applied the band-aid but it is not working. Do I have the band-aid too lose?

Here are the pics after the band-aid. Even before the band-aid, the legs were not spread apart, they were just forward. So when the chick tries to get up, it makes a rowing motion, like a boat oar is moving and it takes it back and falls back. Even after the band-aid its almost the same situation. So some other solution may be in order.

P.S. The legs are splayed like this chick in this video and not to the sides, just a little worse.

Last edited:
I need help please. I don't want to give up on this chick. I had 2 chicks that were born this way (different breeds). One recovered spontaneously but the other is not well. I have applied the band-aid but it is not working. Do I have the band-aid too lose?

Here are the pics after the band-aid. Even before the band-aid, the legs were not spread apart, they were just forward. So when the chick tries to get up, it makes a rowing motion, like a boat oar is moving and it takes it back and falls back. Even after the band-aid its almost the same situation. So some other solution may be in order.

P.S. The legs are splayed like this chick in this video and not to the sides, just a little worse.

The band aid does seem too wide in the middle. the legs need to be a little closer together. make sure it does not walk on ANY slick surfaces. like that table. For the first 24 hours it will be a pain watching it struggle around with the others but it should fix after that.

The band aid does seem too wide in the middle. the legs need to be a little closer together. make sure it does not walk on ANY slick surfaces. like that table. For the first 24 hours it will be a pain watching it struggle around with the others but it should fix after that.
Thanks, I tightened the bandage and its working just a bit. Will see tomorrow! I am trying to figure out what to feed him. I gave him Save-A-Chick with a syringe few time but he is 48 hrs now and needs food. Not eating the organic feed i offered him.

Thanks, I tightened the bandage and its working just a bit. Will see tomorrow! I am trying to figure out what to feed him. I gave him Save-A-Chick with a syringe few time but he is 48 hrs now and needs food. Not eating the organic feed i offered him.
it will be fine eating the regular chick feed/crumble. do you wet your crumble?

No I don't but I guess I should. I also heard that if you ferment it, it does not smell either but I have to try either or.
ive never tried fermenting. but for chicks i wouldn't bother they eat a lot and its not worth the time. I just wet it so they don't spill ALL the crumble. the water helps it stay in the container.

My main question for you at this point is.....have you done as instructed in the Spraddle Leg page I posted???? It usually only takes a few days with the help of Vet Wrap to get them stabilized...please, don't give up on the little thing!
hit.gif
I have 2 chicks with spraddle leg. Have used vet wrap trick, no correction. And tips?

Back
Top Bottom