Will splayed legs fix on their own?

FVRM

Songster
6 Years
Jan 15, 2014
St. Pauls North Carolina
One of my chicks has splayed legs, I know it can be fixed using a band aid but the problem is my chick wont leave it on, Ive also tried using string but it also just comes loose. If I leave the chick with splayed legs will they fix on their own as it gets older?

Last edited:
You need to use vet wrap or tape--bandaids work well also. Don't use string or rubber bands because you can cut off circulation. No, they won't cure themselves--the chick will be lame and probably not survive, so early treatment is best. Make sure that your chicks have a non-slip surface to walk on--not newspaper. Here is some reading: http://www.fresh-eggs-daily.com/2012/04/spraddle-leg.html
https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry
okay thank you. It has been so difficult to mend the legs I gave up

Could you post a picture? There are deformities in the legs that may be something other than splay leg, or more complicated..
its not extreme. Sometimes it can walk a bit on its own but then it falls down. when it was newly hatched it stepped on a sleek surface and that was all it took.

its not extreme. Sometimes it can walk a bit on its own but then it falls down. when it was newly hatched it stepped on a sleek surface and that was all it took.
My main question for you at this point is.....have you done as instructed in the Spraddle Leg page I posted???? It usually only takes a few days with the help of Vet Wrap to get them stabilized...please, don't give up on the little thing!
hit.gif

Any updates on this?
Has it improved? Did you cull? Unchanged?

I used vet wrap on it's legs but it kept falling over and could't retain balance at all. I gave it water with a syringe and sat it up in front of the food, but it started to get sad and droopy. and died a day ago. I noticed it was smaller than the previous hatchlings, maybe it was born that way and I didn't notice it. It was a marraduna basque, and this is my first time hatching this breed. i've noticed it's more prone to straddle legs and chicks get too big inside the egg. So they have a hard time hatching on their own.

Thank you iwiw60, amywho and eggcessive

Back
Top Bottom