Will swimming = mud pit?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Corrigan, May 14, 2009.

1. Corrigan

Corrigan Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2009
    Okay, now that I've had more time to ponder what I really wanted to know when I asked a rather pointless question about pools vs. ponds a week or so ago (lol)..... I had figured we'd do the wading pool, since it's cheaper, and just relocate it every time I emptied it. The ducks have about a 25x25 area (maybe a little bigger, but not smaller) and we let them out every day for a few hours. I figured rotating it around in an area that big might keep any spot from becoming a mud pit, so long as we pumped the water out into the garden. But now I'm wondering if instead it might result in them just turning the whole pen into a mud pit, vs. one area. lol Is that what will happen, what with all the splashing?

If that's the case, if I put a small pond in and put flagstone around it, would there still be a mudpit right outside the flagstone or would it be okay? And...Wifezilla, if you read this....does that filter you mentioned keep the water clean? And how much did it cost you to build it?

2. headred

headred Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2009
    Lawrence
    We have a couple of wading pools and move them all over the yard, in the grass. They have fun when we dump it, but move all over so one particular spot doesn't get worn. So far it works! Good luck!

3. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Thats what I try to do, but...

If the ground is a little higher in some places that seems to dry out where as it al goes to twoo or three spots which my duckies turn into a mudpit. I dont know what will happen with yours, but good luck!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by