Will thay find the pond?

USMCwifey

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 11, 2011
WNY
I have the duck hut up by the house right now, it makes me feel better being able to see them. When they free range in about a week, will they find the pond in the back of the property or do i have to show it to them? I was gonna put the hut back there, but I can't see it from the house. Maybe I can put the hut 1/2 between the house and pond? I'm so confused!
roll.png

They will eventually find it. They may be leery of it at first and not go into it....but they will eventually.

And it may take them a year or more. My neighbors used to laugh because I would take my ducks down to the community lake (where they have permission to swim) every day and THROW them into the water and they would fly back to the shore without ever touching the water. They were terrified. Geese are more adventurous, and when I had a goose growing up with the babies, they found the lake much faster. You may have to go in the water to show them how it's done.
tongue.png

Have fun!

I have a pond on the other side of a 4 foot chain link fence. My Khaki Campbells and Muscovys walk down to the chainlink everyday. this has been going on for over a month. They scratch in the leaves and look through the fence, but have not flown over yet. They could actually go through cattle panels where I keep goats and not even have to fly over a fence, but have yet to see them on the water. They watch the wild mallards swim around out there and seem content to look from afar..

Quote:
LOL..My ducks when I let them out of the hen house after 6 months would not go near the pond...each day I would fill a tub of water and put it closer and closer to the pond for them to swim in and after they watched the goose go in the pond for about the 100th time, 3 months later they decided to try it out.
celebrate.gif

Back
Top Bottom