Will the chicken coop construction boom help end the recession?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Casey3043, Oct 7, 2009.

1. Casey3043

Casey3043 Chillin' With My Peeps

Just happened to think of this when I tallied up everything I've spent recently on my coop addition. Think of the boon to the lumber yards and home improvement stores as we all rush to build bigger and better coops. Those who build with used materials are saving that stuff from going in the landfill.

EVERYBODY is getting chickens these days! [​IMG]

I wonder whether grocery store (caged hen) egg sales are down as we all eat our home-produced eggs!

[​IMG]

2. StupidBird

StupidBird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    GA
    That's funny! Great point, yes, I am running my own economic stimulus program...
    Only so much can be salvaged! I think I can find everything except the hardware cloth and maybe more hinges & latches.
    At the end of the year, all our expenses which are logged into a spreadsheet, generate a report or two to see how we did. Or didn't.
    I write the number of eggs on each day of the calendar, which will be calculated with all the "chicken" expenses. Then subtract a certain, yet to be determined, percentage for "cheep therapy". Will post how expensive my eggs were this year. . .

3. TipsyDog

TipsyDog Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2009
    Aregua, Paraguay
    It may generate a quick boom in building supplies, but as soon as the gold, er... I mean platinum first egg is laid... I'll be in the black again!

4. Casey3043

Casey3043 Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm still waiting for that golden egg, too. Right now I would say each egg has cost about $79.95.

They're good, but not THAT good!

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by