Will the chickens come home?

MamaJohnson

Songster
10 Years
Mar 12, 2009
Idaho
If my chickens fly over the fence into neighboring yards, will they return home on their own, or will I have to go retrieve them? Our fences are 6 ft., but my Leghorns are reputed to be good flyers.

I wish I could help you. I haven't gotten my first chicks yet, but have wondered the same thing.
idunno.gif

The couple of times mine escaped, they wanted to come home, but couldn't figure it out. I think they wiggled under the fence, not flew over. So I had to retreive. The neighbors on both sides watched the chickens till I got home.

Imp

Imp - they only escaped a couple of times? Not bad, I'd say! May I ask, how is your yard set up? Tall fences? And how often/how long are your chickens roaming around in your yard? Any advice on tips to keep roaming chicks in the yard?

If they had walked away, yes they would come back. My guess is if they have to fly back, they will not because they have to have a really strong motivation to fly that high. Plus they can't "see" home. they will curl up in a pile of brush or grass somewhere instead, in your neighbors yard.

By the way, how long have you had them?
If they are new to your house, you should always keep them locked up for 2-3 weeks first without going outside, so they know where home is.

Also, do you know why they would have flown over a 6-foot fence? that is strange for a chicken to motivate to fly that high.

why not clip one of their wings? mine kept flying over the gate that separated their enclosed run to the freeranging yard, so I put up some wire mesh over the gate and clipped one of their wings. Now, they dont go anywhere their little feet can't take them.

Quote:
YOu can clip one wing- But just one. Trim the feathers off on one wing and they can't fly that far. It makes their flight one- sided and and they can't get up very high. There's probaly info on this forum somewhere to show you how to do it. If you do that , you should have no problems keeping them in a six foot fence.
Sorry since I wrote this - I saw that somebody else already posted this suggestion!! So Change my post to Ditto!!

Last edited:
Answers: Havn't got chicks yet - but I tell you, I'm countin' down the days!!! Their roomy run will be fully enclosed, but I would love to let them range around our acre (yard) for additional exercise, yummy bug vitamins, and help in cultivating my garden at the end of the seasons. Even though our yard is fully fenced, there are streets and neighbors to worry about (and a couple of nasty dogs) should the girls go a-walkin'. My best friend (has 40+ chicks and roosters) tells me sometimes they "jump", will sometimes fly (Leghorns), and will use various means of escape if possible. That said, I'm trying to decide whether or not it will be best to just leave the ladies in their run at all times or not. And the wing clipping - is that difficult or dangerous for the chickens to do?

Back
Top Bottom