Will the egg start moving before the first pip?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by my4ladies, Jul 30, 2010.

1. my4ladies

my4ladies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2010
    I'm so excited and anxious! Today was the first day of lockdown. I've kept the still-air at 102 and was told by 2 people on here that the higher temp has brought them faster hatches...day 19 actually. So, of course, I'm thinking now that mine is going to hatch earlier too. I keep checking for a pip, but from my view I can only see the big end. What if it pips at the smaller end and I don't know???? So I was hoping maybe for a sign....like the egg moves as the chick is pecking and making it's first pip: true or false?

Last edited: Jul 30, 2010
  2. Delta3013

Delta3013 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2010
    Harker Heights, TX
    I would let them be and let nature take its course. Plus, watching them would make it feel ALOT longer before they hatch.

3. my4ladies

Jul 4, 2010
    Easier said than done. I only have one in there so it makes it even harder. I'm not watching it per se, just checking obsessively, lol. And have you an answer about whether they rock/roll/move before the first pip?

4. tracyrene

tracyrene Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2010
    Granite Falls
    I hatched some a couple weeks ago.....some were rocking like crazy for 4-5 days before hatching and others I never saw any movement before hatching.

5. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Some move an awful lot, some just pip without much movement.

If you say 'Come on chicks' or some such word of encouragement quite loudly they often cheep back....so then you know they are on the way. And don't let yourself feel silly about talking to them, momma hens chat a lot to their hatching chicks.

Good Luck,

Sandie

6. my4ladies

Jul 4, 2010
    Quote:LOL...Oh, no. There's no shame here! I was peeping at it this morning, but it didn't answer : (

Thanks for the info. I do have it set on hardware wire (the kind where the grids are like 1/4" or so), so it's kind of propped up if you know what I mean (it's just a tiny little silkie egg). Would it even get enough momentum to move it out of the little square? And also, do you think I should have it on a flatter surface so it can roll?....is that better for it to get in position? I had thought that having it more stable would help it get into position better, but I really have no clue!

After it hatched I was planning on putting something in there like screen b/c the grids *I think* will be too big for it's little feet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by