will the eggs hatch

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by roostersandhens, Jan 9, 2013.

1. hi i have a broody hen who is now sitting on her eggs. she sat their for just 21 hours. then she left them for 12 hours. and now she is sitting on them she has been for a few days now. because of the break do u think the eggs will hatch????????
    be sure to check out more threads started me!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 15, 2013
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I'm not sure how sensitive developing embryos are in the very early stages. I do know that late stage embryos can survive a fairly long 'chilling' period. Another important factor is just how cold did the eggs get. To be sure, I would candle at around one week. Good luck.

3. TenOC

TenOC Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2012
    Let her alone. You will know in a few weeks.

If you knew that none the eggs would hatch, what would you do?

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Throw the eggs away and break the hen's broodiness. Brooding is debilitating to a hen. Why allow one to do so for no return?

5. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I agree with Sourland on both posts. Hopefully they'll be O.K. still. I know embryos can survive low temperatures for up to 18 hours, but it depends on how cold they were. Chick embryos can be amazingly tough little things though, so [​IMG]

6. Thanks!!! i will wait for them to hatch see what happens i hope they hatch. i have been letting her sit on her eggs she seem determined to brood!!! the eggs were left for 12 hours in a about 45 OR 50 degree place. p.s. she lays her eggs on my couch and now is hatching them!! crazy huh! well tanks for the replys. and i would like some more THANKS!!!!!

7. tenOC i agree with you on that. if u knew what you gonna do. thanks!!![​IMG]
    p.s. I will never take her eggs away they kinda are her babys! well i will be watching my hen sit on her eggs for 21 days 3 weeks!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 12, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by