Will the laying continue?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by links_56, Jan 16, 2009.

1. links_56

links_56 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2008
    Mercer County, IL
    Hello, I have 14 rhode island reds hens and a Rooster. They are 5 months old. I live in IL and the last few days have been some of the coldest this winter with -35 degrees and even colder windchill. I have an insulated coop with 2 heat lamps but it still was 10 degrees or so in the coop. Regardless of the temperature 3 days ago 1 or 2 hens started laying I found 4 eggs in 2 days and today nothing. I was so excited and I was just wondering if they will continue to lay or if its gonna stop. Let me know what you think. Thanks Justin.

2. #1California Chick

#1California Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    [​IMG] Welcome to BYC!! [​IMG]

I think that they will keep laying, although new layers often lay sporadically until they work out all the kinks!

Cindy

3. Portia

Portia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2008
    South Central PA
    They are rather inconsistent when they begin to lay, but you should continue to have at least some eggs. But don't be discouraged by the zero egg days. I have 12 hens laying right now and with the temps around zero I get only 5-7 eggs a day. When it warms up I may get as many as 12. I don't extend their daylight hours and they are free range and exposed to the elements during the day.
    Good luck and [​IMG]

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    [​IMG] I have RIR's. If they have just started laying it may be sporadic at first. Give them some time for their bodies to adjust to laying. Mine are great layers. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. links_56

links_56 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2008
    Mercer County, IL
    Thank you so much. I was so worried that they might stop. Thanks again, Justin.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by