Will the mottling show?

sekeyslaks

Crowing
9 Years
Jun 25, 2014
I’m going to be receiving a young Speckled Sussex cockerel from a friend who needs him gone and I know that mottling in Speckled Sussex is recessive so his mottling won’t show up if I bred him with many of the breeds I have,but I do have both Speckled Sussex and Ancona hens I could pair with him.If I pair him with the Ancona’s will the resulting babies be mottled?or do Ancona’s have a different mottling?Here is one of my hens and the rooster for reference(P.S.
he is wearing a crow collar under his hackles,that's why they look weird):) .
iphone pics 459.JPG
B5836F49-76B7-41E9-B728-7FA58853B12A.jpeg

Last edited:
well now looking at the picture of your boy i dont think the chicks will be that light colored 😂 But i still believe there will be some mottling
I bet his babies will be black,such a dominant color..I’ll try to get a better picture of him in the sun today. :)

As far as I know you will get black mottled birds.
Ahh yes chicken genetics! theoretically yes, the chicks will be speckled and look something like this: View attachment 2505054 but there are ALWAYS exceptions to this with poultry. Good lucky! :)
I am still learning chicken genetics so I might be wrong but I don’t think that is what you will get.

Back
Top Bottom