Will the mottling show?

Here is a better picture of my rooster.
EE4BF854-67A6-42FF-B007-457F9A50D413.jpeg

I know that mottling in Speckled Sussex is recessive so his mottling won’t show up if I bred him with many of the breeds I have,but I do have both Speckled Sussex and Ancona hens I could pair with him.If I pair him with the Ancona’s will the resulting babies be mottled?or do Ancona’s have a different mottling?

Yes, Speckled Sussex x Ancona should show mottling.
There's just one mottling gene, so any mottled bird can be bred to any other mottled bird and get mottled offspring.

Well, technically there are several alleles at the mottling locus. But not-mottled is dominant over all the other forms, and you get some kind of mottling as long as not-mottled is absent. So for most purposes, you can treat "mottled" as a recessive gene that's the same in all mottled chickens. (Even when they are called Speckled Sussex or Spangled Cornish or Mottled Ancona or Millie Fleur d'Uccle or Golden Neck Old English Game Bantam. Or Pearl or Porcelain or... :lol: )

well I guessed before the pic of the roo came through, before then I thought i WAS being helpful

Googling an answer isn't guessing. And as we all know, everything you read or see on the internet isn't true. Better to let the people with real knowledge about genetics help out with stuff like this. I don't even try if it's not something easy like a gene diluting Black (Blue, Chocolate, Lavender). Patterns always mess me up.

Capture.PNG

Googling an answer isn't guessing. And as we all know, everything you read or see on the internet isn't true. Better to let the people with real knowledge about genetics help out with stuff like this. I don't even try if it's not something easy like a gene diluting Black (Blue, Chocolate, Lavender). Patterns always mess me up.

View attachment 2508053
One can always learn and google is a good place to start!:thumbsup

One can always learn and google is a good place to start!:thumbsup
Yes, but unfortunately a lot of things on google aren't true. Nothing wrong with trying to help but copying and pasting off google generally isn't helpful. If it were that simple I'm sure OP would have done that instead of coming here to try and get answers. 😊

Yes, Speckled Sussex x Ancona should show mottling.
There's just one mottling gene, so any mottled bird can be bred to any other mottled bird and get mottled offspring.

Well, technically there are several alleles at the mottling locus. But not-mottled is dominant over all the other forms, and you get some kind of mottling as long as not-mottled is absent. So for most purposes, you can treat "mottled" as a recessive gene that's the same in all mottled chickens. (Even when they are called Speckled Sussex or Spangled Cornish or Mottled Ancona or Millie Fleur d'Uccle or Golden Neck Old English Game Bantam. Or Pearl or Porcelain or... :lol: )
X2 mottling will be expressed.
The birds will be mostly black with some red, and mottled of course.

Back
Top Bottom