Will the rooster eat the babies?

Rhode Island Rita

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 22, 2011
Hey guys!
So, one of my girls went broody on some fertilized eggs, and they should be hatching around Sunday (if they hatch at all). What I'm wondering, is if the rooster she and another hen share a coop with should be separated out? I've never had chickens hatch on the farm before, we've only just got into the chicken side of things and we ordered from hatcheries, so I don't really know what to expect! Will he hurt them? Or will he not mind because they're his offspring?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Eep, also, if this post would be better suited to the hatching/incubation section, let me know.

Last edited:
My roos have never bothered new chicks, but other hens might. It is best to seperate the hen with her chicks away from other hens so they don't get pecked or stepped on. Other hens will definitely not except them and may kill them.

He *should* be fine with them. My rooster feeds chicks (his or someone elses, doesn't matter to him), takes dirt baths with them and in general helps look out for them. I said *should*be because each individual chicken has their own personality. I would think if he's normally a gentle guy, and he does a good job of looking after his girls that he'll be fine with the chicks. Good luck!

Edited to add- I never remove my broodies from the coop, but I do separate them into a cage inside it. The other hens will get testy with the babies if the broody is low on the pecking order or doesn't look after them properly. They stay in the cage for 3 day after they hatch so they can get their feet under them. After that, they join the rest of the flock.

Last edited:
Thanks guys!
Another question: what kind of prep do I need to do for them? Do I need to put food and water in the coop, or will the be fine following their mom to the feed areas outside of the coop? They have to go up and down a ramp, so I worry.
hmm.png

edit: A cage in the coop? What kind of cage? I have a cat sized travel kennel, would that work or would that not be enough space?

Last edited:
Ur rooster should be fine, my boy was. I somethimes remove the lower-in the pecking order girls and take them to the main garden/chick raising area.

For Broody hens i normally use a rabbit hatch (painted blue with chickens all over it, but thats is for cutie looks and to remind the family the guinea pig cant go in that one) with a run that is just high enough for the hutch. I have one with the legs cut off, so I dont need a ramp. My run for my broody's brood is abouts 1m by 1m, which should be roomie enough for most medium breeds.

If I place the pen/hutch comb into my main run, I well normally fed the chicks and mum separate in the morning so the chicks at least can get some food without the being steped on etc. And I try and train the mum to go to sleep there all night until the chicks are abouts at least 1/2 months old (depending on size and broodie mothering skills, not all have it naturally) so they get enough food.
I do agree with HowfunkyIsUrchicken, with keeping the babies in a pen for at least 3 days (I did 4 days for my bantam mixed broody, but did 7 days for my medium hybird as she wasnt the best mother)

I only done one bird by leaving in the main run, but she was the second from top in the pecking order and she was mean in broody mood (once jumped out run and chased my dog when she was looking at them, dog has gained alot of respect for my girls). She happily took them in and out of the main shed, but she needed a proper broody box for them and her to sleep in, as they cant on perchs when young. ~

Good Luck! Hope ur broody girl is good!
Could use the cat kennel if it was in the garden but i would go down and buy a second hand hut and run from a car boot or advert. ~

Thanks guys!
Another question: what kind of prep do I need to do for them? Do I need to put food and water in the coop, or will the be fine following their mom to the feed areas outside of the coop? They have to go up and down a ramp, so I worry.
hmm.png

edit: A cage in the coop? What kind of cage? I have a cat sized travel kennel, would that work or would that not be enough space?

The chicks should be fed chick starter and after a few days they can eat chick scratch. You can get it at a feed store and they will usually have medicated and non-medicated. And they will need water in a small enough dish so they will not fall in and drown.

As for a cage or pet kennel, they work. I've used them for bantams. I don't know what size your pet kennel is or your hen with the chicks. So size does matter. How many chicks will hatch?
If there is more than two or three chicks, you might need a bigger cage.

Just put water and chick starter in a very shallow dish so the chicks can get to it without harm. Mama will get into it also. But one thing might want to find a way to work out, is mama will sling feed out of the dish any way she can to feed the chicks. The chicks are pretty clean eaters but mama is a mess maker and feed waster. She has to eat too but they gets in a habit of slinging feed and it does make a mess and cost money.

I didn't start my chicks on ACV in the water and it really seems to have done the trick. They are healthy one for sure.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom