Will the warm water hurt them?

bluemerle

Songster
Aug 11, 2018
Northern Nevada
Some background: we do not have harsh winters - last night it got down to 27, which means frost everywhere, and the coldest we get is around 18 - 12 degrees F. However, because our outside faucets are old & need replaced, I've decided not to use them this winter. So in order to provide the geese with bathing water, I've hooked a garden hose up to my sink faucet and run them fresh water into their 15 gallon rubber troughs (perfect for their size!).

Now, the question: in order to have more water pressure, I usually turn both the hot water and the cold water on in the sink. This means the output is lukewarm water, not hot and not cold. But will the change in temperature shock their system & make them cold once they get out? It doesn't seem to have: they acted normally once they got out (leisurely grooming) but I don't want to inadvertently harm them. I know with other animals, providing warm water in winter helps them stay hydrated, but those other animals usually aren't bathing in the water, either.

I don’t think it would hurt them, but its rare to mess up their shock system.

but no it wont hurt them.
The worst thing it will do is make them used to it, causing them to think that they can be cold and not get sick.

What I’m trying to say is don’t let them get used to getting bathed.

I don't think you'll have any issues. I know one technique to attract wild birds to your yard is to boil water and place that in your bird bath. The rising steam attracts them (like running water in the summer) and they know it is thawed and available for drinking.

I don't think you'll have any issues. I know one technique to attract wild birds to your yard is to boil water and place that in your bird bath. The rising steam attracts them (like running water in the summer) and they know it is thawed and available for drinking.

Wow...what a wonderful idea! Learn something new everyday!!

And I'm guessing the geese are going to enjoy their hot tub!! Sounds good to me too right about now, a hot tub that is, not the goose pool! :sick

Wow...what a wonderful idea! Learn something new everyday!!

Yeah, I believe I read that in an issue of Birds N' Blooms? Or maybe it was in The Backyard Birder's Bible:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0875968341/?tag=backy-20

It's a fantastic read. Of course I read it cover to cover multiple times when I was much younger, like 12-13.

And I'm guessing the geese are going to enjoy their hot tub!! Sounds good to me too right about now, a hot tub that is, not the goose pool!

Yes to the hot tub, no to the goose pool. lol

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom