Will these metal roofing panels work for a lean to run?

Yes they will work,,, but you have things to also consider.
I don't know how your lean-to will be constructed.
Main thing to consider is the structure holding the panels. These panels are quite thin, meaning that if there is no framework, They can buckle from wind, and more importantly, SNOW LOAD.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:

No reason they shouldn't -- as long as they are installed correctly according to spec with adequate support and using correct fasteners as recommended by the manufacturer. :)

One issue people seem to have with metal roofing is trying to go cheap on the screws and ending up with leaks because they didn't follow the specs.

No reason they shouldn't -- as long as they are installed correctly according to spec with adequate support and using correct fasteners as recommended by the manufacturer. :)

One issue people seem to have with metal roofing is trying to go cheap on the screws and ending up with leaks because they didn't follow the specs.
Thanks. I need to find the specs so we get it right. :)

Yes they will work,,, but you have things to also consider.
I don't know how your lean-to will be constructed.
Main thing to consider is the structure holding the panels. These panels are quite thin, meaning that if there is no framework, They can buckle from wind, and more importantly, SNOW LOAD.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:
The plan for now (unless specs say different) is 2x6 rafters- 24" apart, 1x4 purlins 24" apart, and using hurricane ties and birds mouth to hold the rafters down. the frame will be 4x4's on the bottom then 2x4 for the studs 24" on center.

It will be 16' long should I put in some type of beam in the center of it?

ok now getting nervous on what is required and other parts needed etc. I am trying to build it as easy and cost effective as possible. Was thinking metal roof would be easier and cheaper but now I am not so sure. I am thinking of going with a plywood roof. The plywood itself is cheaper than the metal panels, we don't need the purlins and I think we have enough shingles for it.

What would you do if it was your build? There will be a coop attached to it under the same roof but was already thinking of doing a plywood roof for the coop.

ok now getting nervous on what is required and other parts needed etc. I am trying to build it as easy and cost effective as possible. Was thinking metal roof would be easier and cheaper but now I am not so sure. I am thinking of going with a plywood roof. The plywood itself is cheaper than the metal panels, we don't need the purlins and I think we have enough shingles for it.

What would you do if it was your build? There will be a coop attached to it under the same roof but was already thinking of doing a plywood roof for the coop.

I love the ease of working with metal.

I did a small structure myself and it only took my DH and BIL a single day to do my big, 16'x16' coop once the purlins were on.

Buying the correct self-tapping screw as specced by the manufacturer is the important part. Engineering the supporting structure is the same.

I love the ease of working with metal.

I did a small structure myself and it only took my DH and BIL a single day to do my big, 16'x16' coop once the purlins were on.

Buying the correct self-tapping screw as specced by the manufacturer is the important part. Engineering the supporting structure is the same.
I looked at their "instructions" and it didn't really give very good instructions. but then I was reading about using the spacer things (sorry can't think of the name and my brain is fried from all the research). I know it needs rubber washers and to screw in the part that is up. But if I need to add in the spacers that adds more so makes the metal, purlins and spacers about $80 more than the plywood. and that is if I even have everything I need. well actually maybe around $100 more since that was doing a metal roof on the coop too so would need to take that off and add the plywood for that.

but I was thinking it would be much easier. My husband is in construction/HVAC but is also a good handyman. But for coops and runs he leaves it on me since I do the research and know what we need and want. but I have ZERO building experience (well besides helping with our existing set up) so I never know what is easier/better etc.

I looked at their "instructions" and it didn't really give very good instructions. but then I was reading about using the spacer things (sorry can't think of the name and my brain is fried from all the research). I know it needs rubber washers and to screw in the part that is up. But if I need to add in the spacers that adds more so makes the metal, purlins and spacers about $80 more than the plywood. and that is if I even have everything I need. well actually maybe around $100 more since that was doing a metal roof on the coop too so would need to take that off and add the plywood for that.

but I was thinking it would be much easier. My husband is in construction/HVAC but is also a good handyman. But for coops and runs he leaves it on me since I do the research and know what we need and want. but I have ZERO building experience (well besides helping with our existing set up) so I never know what is easier/better etc.

This is about where the roof portion of my coop build started. You might find the discussion helpful.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/large-open-air-coop-in-central-nc.1443812/post-24319159

Back
Top Bottom