Will they cackle all day, plus other questions.

momofchicks

Songster
11 Years
Apr 23, 2008
Kentucky
So still new to the chicken farming and have 17 weeks olds, hopefully ready to lay soon. I keep hearing about them announcing they have laid. Do I need to keep the windows open, is it just as they finish? Do they do it all day. Do all the hens go to look at it like a prize? My Dominique has been squatting for 2 weeks now only when I touch her, do they squat without anyone touching them when it's time? Help I want more clues.
barnie.gif
I can't stand the wait. Thanks

They start the squat when they are getting nearer to egg laying. It is a show of submission or readiness for the rooster.

Our ladies (1year olds, 2 year olds+) cackle constantly. The cackles all sound a little different. But range from HEY! I've laid an egg! HEY! There's someone in my favorite nest box! HEY! A hummingbird just startled me! HEY! A loud tractor just drove by! And sometimes they cackle together, like a choor rehearsing.
big_smile.png

My grandparents raised chickens. I was told the hen will cackle as she leaves the nest so that a predator would follow her and leave her egg alone.

Last edited:
Quote:
Okay, but do they squat by theirselves or only when someone touches them? The cackle story is funny
lau.gif
Thanks

You don't need to run out the second they lay an egg, just plan on checking a minimum of once a day to see if there are eggs there, more often if you can. Waiting on that first one is like the old "a watched pot never boils" deal. It will happen and it will be a surprise. They may not even make a sound when they lay an egg. I have gone out to check, done some work around the run for a few minutes, put something back in the coop and there is a FRESH warm egg in there, and not any announcement of the hen of any kind. Patience, it will happen!!!

Don't worry, when they come out, you will go and find one, and it will be like, "Oh NEAT!" Within a week you'll be taking them for granted like, "Oh another egg. Whatever.
roll.png
"

It's true!
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom