Will they eat to much sand???

edmcm2000

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 19, 2009
I have 7 amerecaunas, from 3 to 5 weeks old. I live in a desert area with a dry (usually) wash on the property. The clean sand has a nice range of sizes to it. I'd love to use it on the floor of their new coop, but the chicks seem to just start eating it like crazy. I'm sure it's good grit for them, but they only get chick starter and some occasional watermelon, so won't eating all that sand be bad for them???? Thanks, Ed

Bump....

It sounds like they may be filling up on the sand and not the good chick feed that they really need right now....huh I dunno maybe someone else will see your post who knows better than I do. Good Luck!

You'd be surprised how much grit they can ingest and still have room for plenty of food. I sprinkle a layer of grit (about a half cup for 11 to 15 chicks) on top every time I fill my chicks' feeders. They gobble up the grit first but then proceed to eat the full two cups of food that are in the feeder too. Then I refill with just food in there for their second time around, alternating, one feeding with grit, one without. Mine are just 3 weeks old and they have been eating like that for over a week. I think yours could probably eat quite a bit of small grit and still be able to pack in plenty of food.

Don't know about sand per se, but my chicks eat granite grit like it's going out of style, and they are healthy and have no trouble putting away an amazing amount of starter as well.

I'd just keep an eye on them if I were you, and not worry too much about it.

Back
Top Bottom