Will they ever be friends?

chickenmama5

In the Brooder
Apr 11, 2018
Moxee, WA
We started with a group on 5 chickens in April then in August 2 were killed by a coyote, then we got 3 more and over Thanksgiving 2 more of the of the original group were killed. Now we have the 1 original girl and the 3 newer girls. The original girl will not hang with the 3 new girls and chases them off when I give them treats. Will she ever get along and join them? She is always off by herself and I feel bad for her. She also hasn't laid an egg since Thanksgiving.

It could take quite a while until the group's blend. Generally about a year before they become more cohesive, although your single hen may always remain on the outskirts. Chickens usually bond with those they are raised with and will stick with them for the most part, but some do make friends with others eventually.

My parents raised chickens for their childhood lives and so they experience this also! It took just 3 - 5 months for them to get along for my parents. They just need more time to blend groups.

It can take a really long time for separate groups or solo chickens to blend together. But chickens ultimately are social creatures who crave the company of other chickens so your original hen will probably get tired of being lonely eventually and get used to the others being around.

I too had a
Lone survivor and introduce her to 3 new birds. Mine were 2 days old and did not go outside into the run until they were fully feathered. I kept a section of the run wired off for a look but don’t touch senecio for 2 1/2 months until there size was not much different.
My alpha hen at first threw a hissy fit! But the intergration was realitivly smooth. Bottom line my LH (alpha) hen makes it very clear...I’m hers!!
It’s been 8 months now and just today she allowed 2 others to jump up on me
While we were cuddling. My LH has picked my RSL as her buddy it’s a big change...it takes time.
I was shocked that the extent of fighting really was no more than a few feathers plucked. Be patient. Just make sure no one gets seriously injured. Best wishes

I brought 1 chicken into my flock of 4. (A lone survivor from another home.) The new chicken was older and past her prime. The other 4 are the same age (about 3 yrs old), same breed, etc. Kept them apart for about 4 weeks, separated by fencing so they could see each other in the coop. Let them out together in the yard one day, and it's been pretty much happy-happy since then. I think my 4 younger girls are intimidated by the older hen. I never saw them try to push her around or break her from the group. They've been together for about 6 months and are now thick as thieves. (Planning on bringing in new chicks this coming spring. We'll see if it goes as well. <fingers crossed>)

A year ! Really? I would not of thought that. Would it help if she put the loner w/ only one of the new ones for a while ?
Two birds hanging together is different than birds bonded to each other. I have birds from different batches that will travel together, but on occasion you can see the group's fall back to those the grew up with. So they can all get along much sooner but you will still see the divisions more. So I guess I should have specified more what I meant.

I have also seen hens that lose their bonded flock mates remain loners for the rest of their lives. Chickens are like people as in some like lots of company and others only want those they are familiar with as companionship.

Two birds hanging together is different than birds bonded to each other. I have birds from different batches that will travel together, but on occasion you can see the group's fall back to those the grew up with. So they can all get along much sooner but you will still see the divisions more. So I guess I should have specified more what I meant.

I have also seen hens that lose their bonded flock mates remain loners for the rest of their lives. Chickens are like people as in some like lots of company and others only want those they are familiar with as companionship.
Ohh I understand. Thank you. :hugs

Back
Top Bottom