Will they ever get along? (Its been a month!)

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by HappyTalons, Jul 20, 2010.

1. HappyTalons

HappyTalons In the Brooder

Apr 9, 2010
    Mid-Missouri
    So I posted back about June 20 something-th that we were trying to integrate a pair of younger pullets with older pullets.

The older group is a range of ages

We have:

Black Australorp @ 19 weeks (She was the only one to survive a dog attack and essentially raised the other three) - Named Edna
    2 black sex links @ 15 weeks (Foxy and Scrappy)
    A barred rock (easily the smallest) @ 13 weeks (Shanah)

(Pecking order seems to be Edna, Scrappy, Shanah, Foxy)

And the newer ones, two EEs @ 10 weeks old (Goldie and Jasmine) Jasmine seems to be the dominant one of the pair.

Unlike a lot of people we didn't put them in a cage in the run of the older pullets for a long time. This may have been part of our downfall though they had certainly had time to free range together since we got the EEs, so they weren't total strangers.

The two groups have been roosting together on their own since the second day of "togetherness" (we put the little ones on the roost bar with the older ones at night), there can be pecking when getting up and getting down but nothing too serious. The EEs do not sleep on the same level of the roost bar though and are often as far away as possible from the other group.

During the day EEs tend to hang out away from the older pullets when free ranging although the absolute terror phase seems to have passed that was going on when we first put them together. They still range as two separate flocks though, and the older pullets will drive the younger away from any food or water, hiding places etc. The EEs don't hide in terror all day anymore though and can be within 3 feet of the other flock peacefully instead of the 5-6 feet at the beginning.

The little guys are starting to catch up in size and Jasmine is getting her big girl voice. Goldie seems a bit behind and still peeps (and peeps a LOT). I've noticed a lot more "interest" on the part of the EEs (especially Jasmine) to be with the older pullets, but Foxy simply does not want them to be too close and will drive them off. The EEs will not fight back though they don't run as far as they did in earlier weeks.

The two flock thing isn't a huge problem atm since we can allow them to free range pretty much all day and keep multiple sources of food and water out of sight of one another. But eventually we'll need them to be able to tolerate one another in the same run in case we need to go somewhere other than around our small town! Currently we are very afraid to keep them in the run together since it is relatively small. We did have a little "accident" a while back where they all ended up together though we are not sure for how long. The EEs were huddled in the back when we discovered them but no blood was drawn. We just wouldn't want to come back to dead chickens. Even if it is from being kept from food and water rather than direct attack.

Anyone else had an experience where it took THIS long (or longer) to get their flocks together? Will they ever be one flock?

2. MMPoultryFarms

MMPoultryFarms Songster

Jun 21, 2010
    Okarche Oklahoma
    As Strange as it may seem on my yard The Jersey Giants all stick together, The black australorp all hang together. (exept the roo who chases all the ladys reguardless of breed) All my Dark cornish Run in one group. All my RiRs run in a group. the only birds that mingle are the Sex links and the Australorps, and the Cornish Rock Cross is sometimes seen with the Jersey Giants.
    If anyone has the anwser to how to make them all mingle Please Enlighten me as well.

3. jjparke

jjparke Songster

Apr 20, 2008
    Boise
    Either they will start to get along or they will kill each other. We'll see.

4. HappyTalons

HappyTalons In the Brooder

Apr 9, 2010
    Mid-Missouri
    As I said they do seem to be making some progress . . . but it is so slow! I'm hoping once the EEs reach full size that they will be more willing to fight back (they're perfectly willing to fight with each other).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by