Will they go back to the coop?

scuba2sue

Hatching
9 Years
Jun 17, 2010
We returned from a week of vacation to find that 17 of our 23 birds had been killed by raccoons. They boy taking care of them - didn't. The coop doors were left open and... We have 3 hens and 3 juveniles remaining. The birds will not return to the coop (can't say I blame them). They are roosting in trees and we have found them for the last 5 nights and placed them in the coop. Can we ever get them to return there on their own, and the 3 hens are not laying, or laying elsewhere, when can I expect them to start laying again.
Would appreciate any advice, we are devestated.

Chew the boys ass first!! Sorry to here that!! His parents should make him buy you some new chickens!!

My boys would be working for you forever!!

Good luck!!

That is ... UGH! It makes me so mad when people do that! I want to kick that kid for you!! UGH!!!!!!

Ok, as far as the remaining chooks go, yes, they will return, just keep bringing them in like you have been, making sure they're locked up safely like you always do, (as opposed to that TWIT who failed to do so!!! UGH!!!) In fact, I'd bring them in and leave them in if it's at all comfortable for them, for several days just like when you're trying to teach a flock where their roost is all over again.

It will make them uneasy at first, but they'll calm down after a bit and settle in again. They'll need to work out their pecking order again, and that always causes stress, but they'll settle.

As far as when they'll start laying again? No way to really say, but the sooner they settle in again, the sooner they will start up again.

1. It is not the kids fault, he obviously didn't know that not closing the door would kill the birds, otherwise he would have to be quite the monster.
2. if you lock them in for a day or 2 they will go in at night on their own.

Quote:
Maybe it wasn't his fault; maybe it was. If the OP was specific and gave detailed instructions on what to do and what not to do, making sure everything was covered and crystal clear, then I'd say it was his fault. If the instructions given were general in nature as in "feed, water, and 'take care' of them", then I'd say maybe he didn't know he should close the door. When I have to go out of town, I leave a completely detailed, printed list of instructions and emergency phone numbers on my refrigerator so there will be as little room for error or omission as possible. It would probably help if you could sit down and talk with the boy (when your emotions will let you do so without being too upset or angry) and go over what happened, and how to make sure it never happens again. Your girls should start laying again when the shock and stress have started to wane and they feel safe again. I am so sorry for your losses, OP, I know I would be absolutely heartbroken.
hugs.gif

"They boy taking care of them - didn't"

Sounds like his fault to me.. Being irresponsible doesnt make him a monster.....Whatever...... sorry about the loss.......

Thanks all for the advice. The boy was given specific instructions and shown what to do, I guess he didn't understand that when I said they would go back once it started getting dark and that he needed to be there to secure the coop prior to it getting dark, that it didn't mean he could show up at 11:30 p.m., not once, but on several nights; however, he is not a monster. This weekend we are building a better coop which will have timer/door closer, just in case. Now to start all over again........

Back
Top Bottom