1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

will they kill

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by 12304, Jun 30, 2011.

1. 12304

12304 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2011
    One day i let my chicks out but they were acting very weird (timid and anxious) then out of the blue these voltures started flying really low and would come down really low then swoop backup the chicks were going nut they were really scared. i was to but i have never heard of a volture killing a chicken but they were defently eyeing my chicks and have come back severly times. will they kill my chicks.

2. TheSitcomGirls

TheSitcomGirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2010
    We have Turkey Vultures here...a lot of them. They have always ignored my full grown chickens. But when I started letting my 10 week old peeps free range with the big girls the vultures did come in very close to the ground. My neighbor managed to spray them with the hose! They made me nervous! But they didn't grab any babys. Not sure if I would say they never would try to grab a baby chicken.

3. gjensen

gjensen Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2011
    Midlands, South Carolina
    Yes, some will, sometimes.

4. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

Give the chicks some cover and put their water and food near it. This will give them a chance.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by