Will they lay again??

sm070468k

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 11, 2010
3 months ago I moved from Virginia to Louisiana and brought along 4 of my best/favorite chickens, my horse, and my cat. Everyone seems to have settled in and have pretty much returned to normal behavior except for the girls. Since moving here none of the chickens have laid a single egg. I have tried everything I can think of to get them laying again but nothing has worked. I have not had to buy eggs in almost 4 years and I hate to think that I'm going to have to start buying them at the store now. Two of the hens I believe started molting after arriving - possibly due to the heat and humidity. The hens have since re-grown almost all of their feathers and are healthy active hens. 1 hen is 3 years old and may be at the end of her laying time (she was still laying an egg almost daily before we left VA), the other 3 hens are just over 1 year old and were good layers before we left VA.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what the problem might be and what I can try doing to get them to lay again? How long should I give them to start laying again before giving up and buying some pullets?

Thank You!!

Back
Top Bottom