will they lay

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 55885100, Aug 13, 2008.

1. 55885100

55885100 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2008
    my chickens are almosts 19 weeks old and havent layed yet. but i am still making the nesting boxes. will they still lay without a nest box. [​IMG]

2. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    Yes, you usually have to teach them where you want them to lay, with fake eggs or golf balls etc. theyshould be laying really soon!

3. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    Your Red Stars should start laying any day now. The others may wait until closer to 22 weeks but... they could also lay sooner than that.

Chickens will lay eggs whether there is a nest box or not. If there isn't one then they may lay on the floor or somewhere else they choose. Even if they do have nest boxes they may chose to lay somewhere else. It's just better to get them accustomed to laying in the nest boxes from day 1 ...

So, get those nest boxes made as soon as possible so your girls start to lay in them.

4. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Mine have! I've gotten 6 eggs from one of my hens so far. Meanwhile she has made herself a nice little nest in the mulch in one of the corners of the coop. The nesting boxes will be going in this weekend. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 13, 2008
  5. luckychic

luckychic Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    My Gold Lace just layed her first egg today! She is around 25 weeks old. She was good and put it in the nest box, but for the last few weeks I've had a tennis ball in there. As far as the regularity - Even my older girls leave their eggs where they want. Usually the nest box, but sometimes in the corner of the coop. Occasionally in the run. I think with the heat, they are going where they are the most comfortable for the time of day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by