Will they start using the nesting boxes?

Agathe

Songster
Jun 1, 2021
My hens have just started laying. Only two eggs so far. But both of them have been on the floor. Will the start using the nesting boxes by themselves eventually, or is there something I should do to encourage them? I have 6 nesting boxes, all in a fairly standard size I believe. They are raised from the floor and are lined with hay. Should I use something else than hay? I otherwise use pine shavings in the coop. I have a fairly thin layer of hay, should I add more? There are 5 hens and 6 boxes so plenty to choose from.

Ditto of the fake eggs, golf balls work fine.

Are the nests easily accessible?
Got pics?
Have they been in them at all?
Yes, they are easily accessible, so that shouldn't be a problem. I've only seen one of the chicken go into them, otherwise I'm not really sure. Had a third egg today and it was also on the floor despite the golfballs and more hay. I suspect only one hen has started laying so hoping the others will figure the nests out. I'll see if I can get a picture later today! :) There isn't all that much to do with the nests though as they have been built to the coop, but I believe they are quite ordinary. There isn't a ladder up to them or anything but they easily jump on top of the nests, so it shouldn't be hard for them to get into them.

Three eggs today. Two were on top of the nesting boxes. The downside with that is that it's a hard surface so they both had cracked. So to prevent that I made some changes to the structure so I could add pine shavings on top of the surface. I can't use hay as one of the roosters and occasionally one hen likes to sleep there instead of on the roosts. It will just be too hard to keep clean. The third egg was outside. At least they're somehow getting that they need to collect the eggs in one place, just wish they'd to that in the nesting boxes! If they decide to go on top of them though it's not a big deal because at least they don't spend any time up there during the day time.

Better to block them from there.....sharply angled board on top.
Thanks! The only problem with that is that that will also partially block off the window. I can however do it at least temporarily to teach them other habits. Or alternatively get hold of a plastic board of some kind so it'll still let the light through.

Back
Top Bottom