Will this be big enough for 5 Silkies?

kr112234

In the Brooder
7 Years
Feb 28, 2012
Hi! I'm new to this site so maybe a dumb question but I want to get 5 silkies in the next couple of months and need a coop...There is one being sold locally for $200 and I posted the link below. I still have to assemble it, or my husband does ;) But it seems nice. In your opinion, would this coop be enough room for the 5? They will also have a run, and will free roam our property when we are home...

Thanks in advance!

http://houston.craigslist.org/for/2829361081.html

I think that the coop you are thinking about will be quite sufficient for 5 chickens. I also think that it is important for them to have a sufficient run and the size of the run will be more important then the size of the coop. In my experience I have found that the chickens only go into the coop at dark to roost and go in during the day only to lay eggs in the nest area. Other then that, as soon as it gets light they want to be out in the run or loose running around the yard. The coop you have picked is quite nice but make the run as large as you practically can.

Thank you for your help! We have a lot of room out here so they will have plenty space inside and outside the run. And I'm guessing 2 nest areas is ok as well? I just thought they all needed their own! :/ Really need to learn a few things before these chicks come!

Regarding nest areas, two is fine. If you had five you will find that they will all end up using the same nest box anyway. I think you will find that you can not think of a question regarding chickens that has not been asked on this site at least ten times. The search box will lead you to a wealth of information but do not be afraid or concerned about asking questions as you will find out that most of the people in BYC love to give advise and are always willing to be helpful. You will read a lot about predators, diseases and other strange happenings but for the most part raising five hens is easy and quite a lot of fun. Build your run secure and keep a watchful eye on them when they are out of the run. I have 6 hens with a run that is 8ft X 16ft and they seem fine even though I do try to let them out for about an hour a few times per week. They will want to be out all of the time but do not let them make you feel guilty as they do very well in a run with water, food and treats.

If you get snow in the winter that coop will be too small. There is also no ventilation.
A silky is about the size of a gallon jug of milk. Grab 5 jugs and put them in an area 27"x27" now decide if your silkies are going to have enough room to move around and be happy.
If you live in Florida like Capvin where they don't get much snow you can get away with a smaller coop. But I would not put 5 silkies in anything less than 15-16 square feet of coop not counting nest boxes. You should look for a coop that is 48"x48" or larger. Chicken math happens.
It is very easy to build a 4x4 coop yourself as well. We have lots of plans here at BYC.

Also you will probably find that it is very cheaply made.

Luckily we live in South Texas so we consider snow a really really nice surprise every couple of years ;) I think I'll go check it out and then I thinking I could also build another one, either the same one or another plan, down the road if it seems too small or I get more hens. One on one side of the run and the other on the other side, with about 100 square feet of run space in between. I do hope the quality is good though...I guess I'll just have to see...

Back
Top Bottom