Will this be enough light?

bonder

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 2, 2010
I'm thinking about putting up a string of energy efficient Christmas lights in the hen house to make up for the shorter daylight hours. Do you think a strand or two of lights would put out enough light? I haven't had an egg yet (Late June hatch) and I REALLY don't want to wait until Spring, thus the reason for an artificial light source.
I could hang them from the ceiling and I don't think the chickens could peck at them. We have light bulbs in the hen house but they are on a switch, not a timer and they would light up the whole place instead of just the area I use for chickens.
Thoughts?

Hi:D I'm new to the chicken business and was wondering the same thing. How long would you keep the light on? I've been keeping the heatlamp on for about 3 hours after the sun goes down. That way they will get their 12 hours of light. It really seems to mess up their roosting though. Three of my chickens have started laying, they are 22 weeks and the other 9 haven't started yet and I don't want the ones that are laying to stop and I want the others to start. Am I making any sense? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks:)

Light needs to total 14hrs for good production. I provide mine with enough hours
of light in the morning to make 14 till the normal dusk so as not to mess with bed
time. Timers are quite inexpensive and easy to set. No way am I getting up at 4am
to turn on a light for the chickens so this works for me and the chickens.

Back
Top Bottom