1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Will this be enough ventilation with PICS

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Granny Hoffman, Oct 4, 2010.

1. Granny Hoffman

Granny Hoffman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    SE Michigan
    My coop is almost finished and I was wondering if I have allowed for enough ventilation. The coop is 16 x 11 with 12' angled down to 8' ceiling. The gable ends are open and I have 4 windows and 4 large pop doors that can be opened, but they are at floor level. It is not insulated and it faces the south with protection from the cold north winds. I am housing 21 bantams and 10 standard size pullets, so I want to make sure there is enough ventilation and not have any moisture build up during the winter. By the way I live in SE Michigan. On days that the wind is not howling I will be able to open the large pop doors to air out the coop. Any suggestions would be appreciated before DH puts his tools away.

[​IMG]
    Facing east
    [​IMG]
    Facing south with the open gables
    [​IMG]
    2 of the 4 windows and large pop doors.
    [​IMG]
    The roosts are directly across from the south facing windows.

The sun you see hitting the wall is from a skylight we put in, so they will have enough sunlight during the winter months also.

Thanks

Judy

2. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

Make sure you put some hardware cloth over the window openings so predators don't get in!

3. Granny Hoffman

Granny Hoffman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    SE Michigan
    There are screens covering the windows and the coop is in an enclosed run.

4. Ed62

Ed62 Chillin' With My Peeps

It looks like there are no soffits, leaving openings there too. Hardware cloth should cover any openings predators could get in. Otherwise, I like it a lot.

Ed

5. animalover

animalover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2010
    Harrisburg, PA
    What a nice looking coop! I think your girls will be very happy.

6. OregonChickenGal

OregonChickenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Central Oregon
    [​IMG]

7. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Quote:Screens won't keep anything out other than mosquitoes. You're relying on your run as night time predator protection, which is a bit risky. It's much more difficult to build and maintain a run secure from predators than a solid sided coop.

A good rule of thumb for ventilation is 1 square foot of vent per bird, ideally up at the top of opposite walls well above roost level (that way you can leave the vents open without the risk of drafts). You could get out your tape measure and figure out how many square feet of ventilation you have already, and how much of it you can leave open in winter without letting in drafts.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by