Will this breed mix be impossible?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by boxermom, Dec 5, 2010.

1. boxermom

boxermom Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    Spencer,IA
    DH and I have been looking for a new puppy. We're thinking mutt, as we already have a pure bred boxer and springer spaniel. We moved to "the farm" a little over 2 yrs ago and have chickens and turkeys right now. Hopefully we'll be getting a couple dairy goats in the spring. We found puppies yesterday that are 1/2 pitbull and 1/4 samoyed and 1/4 heeler. We're used to strong willed dogs (boxers) so that isn't really a problem. However, will we be able to teach it to leave the livestock alone? It will be a house dog, but I need to be able to leave it outside in with the underground fence with the other dogs when it wants to be outside. Our dogs never have the run of the farm unless we are with them. Also, they are never left outside if we are not home. The puppies are 8 wks old. Do we dare?

2. rcentner

rcentner Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Le Roy, NY
    one can never say, depends on the temperment of the dog itself. I would worry about the heeler and samoyed parts...samoyeds (in my experience) can be very hyper and sometimes mean. just my opinion though, all together that mix sounds like a dog that will need a lot of exercise. My friend has some heeler mixes and they could play all day and night without taking more than a 5 minute break

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Every dog is different, but with that background, I'd be concerned.

Of course if you want a mean guard dog, it might be perfect.

4. welsummerchicks

welsummerchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    That combination sounds like the spawn of the underworld, LOL. I'd say no, which I'm sure will make many say yes, LOL.

Having dealt with all 3 breeds, I would say that would be a pretty tense, high energy blockhead that does not feel much pain and likes to get after the livestock. Or you could get lucky.

I never put much stock in luck.

5. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    I would go to the shelter and look for a nice mix there. That is where I got my 9 year old lab mix 8 years ago, she's the best dog you could ever ask for. She has never tried to hurt any of the chickens, ducks, geese, cats, or the other dog. I hope you find the dog for you! [​IMG]

6. Hound

Hound Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    It sounds like a pretty awful mix to me. You have three breeds there with a strong prey drive, so chances are it's not going to be easy on livestock. Stubborn in general is one thing (my Bloodhound is stubborn as a mule but she's never going to bother livestock), but stubborn with a strong prey drive/herding drive is something else entirely.

ETA I think the problem is these breeds tend to be tenacious rather than 'stubborn'.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2010
  7. welsummerchicks

welsummerchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    I like that. 'Tenacious rather than stubborn'. I have to remember that.

8. vebyrd36

vebyrd36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2010
    New Ringgold Pa
    I have found that pitbulls are not a good choice with farm animals. We had rescued two and had to find homes for them. The ate my goats a foul. I raise German shepherd and introduce them early to live stock. With that said if the puppy is introduced early maybe the temperment will be diffrent.

9. Brindlebtch

Brindlebtch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Texas
    Quote:Ditto. I would stay far far away from those puppies and hope nobody near you gets one.

10. Brindlebtch

Brindlebtch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Texas
    Quote:If you got 2 adult rescues that you didn't really know the history of, you probably aren't being fair to the breed. I wouldn't expect rescue pits to be good around livestock unless strictly trained and supervised, and never alone. Both my dogs are fine around my birds.

Pits can make great farm dogs if introduced as a pup and the owner is an alpha. Down here they will even use them to heard up cattle, along with catahoulas.

If you had 2 adult shepherds of unknown history would you expect them to be good with your livestock? I should hope not.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by