Will this coop work for the time being ?

xxcody2gunsxx

In the Brooder
Jul 27, 2016
Albuquerque New Mexico
With very short notice and budget I whipped up a coop to house 7 Chicks and keep predators out .
I have plan to build I different one in the future but was wondering will this current coop work for the time being .
Thanks

It will work temporarily. If the concrete wall surrounds the lot, that will help with predators. Work on something better as soon as you can. We all have to get by with what we can until we can do better.

It will work temporarily. If the concrete wall surrounds the lot, that will help with predators. Work on something better as soon as you can. We all have to get by with what we can until we can do better.
Thanks . Our main Predators are neighborhood cats ,dogs and we have Hawks around all the time . What would you suggest to improve?

I don't know anything about New Mexico so I would suggest hunting this site for what other people in your area do. But I'm pretty sure they would be happier if their coop was higher off the ground. I know they feel safer the higher they can get. Keep what you've got now as the "ground floor" of the run and put a 2nd story directly over the enclosed area as the coop/sleeping area. It'll be the same size, just up off the ground a few feet.
The netting on top will keep the Hawks out but dogs might burrow under the pallets if they get a chance. It looks sturdy though, so nothing's coming in from the sides.

People are always going to nitpick. It looks great. The dust bath area is a good addition. I'm building mobile so I don't have an area stripped of all green, but some of New Mexico is pretty barren anyway. You've given them security, space, shade, water, and feed. That's a good start.

Back
Top Bottom