will this coop work????

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by wendy93089, Mar 18, 2011.

1. wendy93089

wendy93089 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2011
    Tampa FL
    someone is selling an a frame coop for $150. will this be big enough for 4 sex link hens? the person told me the coop dimensions are 6x6x3.5.. please tell me if it will work. thanks
    6x6x3.5
    [​IMG]

2. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    It's nice but the thing is it isn't predator proof [​IMG]

AC

3. chickendude

chickendude Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    Dutchess County NY
    The ground sq footage is 36sq ft and at 4 sq ft per bird it suggests it would be okay. But with the angled walls I would only put 3 birds in there. They don't have enough room to get out of each others way. Just my opinion. If you had an attached run for them to get out I think you could get away with 4 birds.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2011
  4. chickendude

chickendude Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    Dutchess County NY
    How many birds did the owner keep in it?

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Only if there is also a run for them to use during the day, or they are allowed to range freely. Coop space MINIMUM for 4 hens is 16 sq ft, run space is MINIMUM 40 sq ft. If that is both coop and run (they don't get out of it into other space) then it's only suitable for a maximum of 3 hens. 6 x 6 = 36 square feet. And there is NO head space for chickens all around the sides.

Plus it does need to be secured with hardware cloth instead of that chicken wire.

However, it would be very useful as a grow-out coop & pen for youngsters before they move to a real coop. [​IMG]

6. andalusn

andalusn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Ridgefield, WA
    That would work for free range birds... they can get out and stretch so to speak but for sleeping it would be okay. On a really rainy day I would feel sorry for them. It look like 3 at the most depending upon size. Looks like it was designed for small Banty hens.

7. austinhart123

austinhart123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    no plus you would have to get on your somach to grab the birds outta there, it looks very inconvenient, you could build nicer for <150$

8. aussiedude248

aussiedude248 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2010
    Punta Gorda FL
    I WOULD LOVE TO SELL YOU MINE FOR $150.00 But my dad just HAS TO give it away free! [​IMG] Look at my page this holds 3 mallard ducks.

9. wolfandfinch

wolfandfinch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2011
    Vancouver BC
    seems like a lot of money for something with so little to it...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by