Will this do for Mandarins?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by catiecutie 123, May 11, 2009.

1. catiecutie 123

catiecutie 123 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2009
    Okay, I want two mandarin ducks that I'm going to buy as eggs. I want to buy something that's really cheap and doesn't require a lot of assembly for a coop. I also need a run. Any place to check, or any suggestions? And I found this dog house at petsmart.com that ranges from $90 to $140. If I get it, which size?
    Small:33.5"Lx24.6"Wx22"H=$90
    Medium:45.5"Lx26.6"Wx27.5"H=$100
    Large:45.5"Lx33"Wx33"H=$140

Please help!
    ~Catie

2. cawooduck

cawooduck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Livermore, CA
    Eh Catie,

Check with your local Craigslist for used pre-fabricated dog kennels, if you find one just clean it really good, the best you can.

Then check for used dog houses or "igloo's" which i am sure you can find for cheap, which will provide some shelter.

Dont rush, take your time and look around for a pen for them to stay in, and unless you pinion them, they will fly, and they fly very good, and they like to perch up off the ground a lot of times as well, so a 3" diamter wooden pole or branch placed across the corner of the kennel would be suffice. You will also have to provide a source of bathing water.

Like i said, dont rush into anything, when you get the eggs you will need to incubate them for about 29 days, and if they make it you will have about 3-4 weeks of brooding them before they are turned into a pen, so in essence, you have about 2 months to plan it all out!!

Remember, mandarins and other wildfowl are not like your regular barnyard ducks, they are pretty skitish and may or may not stay tame after the duckling stage.

3. catiecutie 123

Jan 21, 2009
    Okay, thanks! But how do you make a brooder? Isn't it just a box with a lightbulb, water, food, shade, and bedding?[​IMG]

4. barnwife

barnwife Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    central Texas
    For most birds, yes. for ducks, you need to think about what woll happen to the bedding/box when the ducks decide to dive into their water and spray it everywhere several times during the day and night....

Cardboard works VERY well for chicks and guineas....but ducks are special [​IMG]

Geese, too.

I use a plastic swim pool and a clip lamp with pelleted horse bedding as a GREAT water absorber. The pelleted bedding also helps with the typically "ducky" smell.

Here is another thing....eggs are fragile, and the more fragile the breed, the more fragile the eggs.

It's like grandma says....don't count your chickens (or ducks) before they hatch!

Incubation and new hatchilings are notoriously fragile, too.

Good luck on your babies-to-be!!

Oh yea, and don't forget to look into the local and state laws concerning mandarins...many states have a breed/wildlife permit required for you to own mandarins or any of their close relatives.

GORGEOUS breed choice! Enjoiy them well!!

5. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Duck housing requirements grown is 3 sf per bird, so 6 sf for a pair. A 2' x 3' size is just fine. I plan on giving my ducks 4 sq ft per bird.

6. catiecutie 123

Jan 21, 2009
    Soo.... How about a guinea pig cage? I'm thinking of getting 4-6 eggs now, so should I buy the medium?[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by