Will this niacin supplement work?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by wordgirl, Aug 27, 2013.

1. wordgirl

wordgirl One of the Shire-folk

Apr 14, 2009
  2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I'd say that's it. Can you get brewers yeast? it can be sprinkled on top of feed

3. wordgirl

Apr 14, 2009
    I might be able to find it - but it seemed like an expensive option. Is there a way to get it in bulk that's not so expensive? Or have I misunderstood the amount of brewer's yeast you're supposed to use?

Thank you very much!

4. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Look on ebay I think I saw it on there pretty reasonable. Look for livestock BY.

5. wordgirl

Apr 14, 2009
    How much would you recommend buying for 3 ducklings (and their mother, who's eating their feed) for the month and a half?

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    When I was giving it to 1 duckling I used almost a 1 lb can in 12 weeks, Now I use it daily and I buy it on line In 20lb bucket. You might be better off going with the niacin tablet but compare your prices .

Last edited: Aug 27, 2013
  7. wordgirl

Apr 14, 2009
    Thank you! I think I'll stick to a niacin supplement for now - I found my bottle of 250mg capsules from last year. They are "time-release" niacin, but they don't say flush-free and they do contain the actual nicotinic acid (not inositol niacinate). The tiny balls in the capsule (I remove the capsule coating before putting into water) don't dissolve too well, but when you grind them they "suspend" a bit better in the water and there are more fragments. I'm still wondering whether the ducklings can really get too much of the niacin since it's time-released, but their legs had started to get a bit shaky if they stood awhile so I thought I'd try it since I already have it. I haven't seen the wobbly legs since then. I mix one capsule's contents with about 2 gallons of water, so it's about 125mg a gallon. They are outside all day, too, so they have access to bugs, so I hope that between the niacin supplement and the insect they're getting enough.

What do you think of time-released niacin? Do you think it does anything, or is it out of their body before they can use it? [​IMG]

8. duckcrazy

duckcrazy Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2012
    Try adding 100 to 150 mg of niacin per gallon of drinking water until ducklings are eight to ten weeks old. Don't over due though, as over use is lethal.
    I find brewer's yeast here in Oregon to be reasonable, and if you only have a few ducklings, you don't really need pounds of it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by