1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Will this work for Muscovy eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by CluckyJay, Jun 12, 2011.

1. CluckyJay

CluckyJay Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Crossville, Tennessee
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l63v_6H2u-c

I
    wanna buy hatching eggs but have to be careful how much I spend right now. If this is a bad idea I will just wait until I can build one out of an old mini fridge. Thanks. [​IMG]

2. tec27

tec27 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    I built mine out of a cardboard box. I was watching my spending as well. Total i spent $20. I had to buy a two different thermometers, a dimmer switch, and a light bulb with a "cage" around it. Like the ones mechanics use around cars. I sealed the box completely then cut a square in one side for viewing/turning/filling the water. I taped a piece of glass from a picture frame to the square so i didnt lose heat. I put the light bulb on a dimmer switch and i was good to go. Cheap, easy, sufficient. Next time however, i will use styrofoam. When i accidentally filled the bowls of water too much, the cardboard stayed wet for days and made a slight mess. But other than that it was super cheap.

3. CluckyJay

CluckyJay Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Crossville, Tennessee
    You just took a load off my mind and shoulders. I wish I knew it was that easy to incubate--I would have bought decent chicken stock from BYCers instead of a hatchery and hatched them myself. Thank you so much. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by