Will this work for them??

KikiDeAnime

Spooky
6 Years
Dec 29, 2017
Battle Ground, WA
A few of you know of the situation but for those who do not, my parents are semi-living with my grandmother due to her memory issues and the fact that she can't live alone. Recently they've been having me come stay the night so that I can be with her during the day while my parents are at work. It's a few times each week. Thursday is the only weekday that my mom has off so she's there all day.
The issue I'm having has to do with the fact that aside from my dad, I'm the only one who actually takes care of the flock. With me being away, the flock isn't able to free range so the egg production keeps dropping because they're not content.

If I leave the coop door to their yard open all the time while I'm away, will this be okay for them?? They will only be allowed to leave the coop into their protected yard if I do this.
Their feeder is completely filled to the exact top. Their 5 gallon waterer is filled and I put a few smaller containers in their yard for extra water.
I also recently refilled the nesting boxes with fresh new bedding.

Anything else that I could provide for them to keep them content while I'm gone??

My younger brother doesn't care what happens to them.
My older brother and his girlfriend keep leaving the house to go stay at her parents' house a few times a week so they can't do anything, plus his girlfriend works during the day while he sleeps.

I let my girls free range during the day, even if I don't have my eyes on them. We don't have very many predators. That being said, I never ever leave them out there if I am not at home.

can you get an electric fence to give them more space?

I let my girls free range during the day, even if I don't have my eyes on them. We don't have very many predators. That being said, I never ever leave them out there if I am not at home.

can you get an electric fence to give them more space?
We recently got a few hawks that keep coming back. Haven't had any other predators around ever since I poured a bunch of different urine around the place.
Their attached secured yard is 15x8. Everything has both hardware cloth and chicken wire on it. Chicken wire on the inside and hardware cloth on the outside. Netting over the yard. Hardware cloth buried underneath both the coop and yard.

A few of you know of the situation but for those who do not, my parents are semi-living with my grandmother due to her memory issues and the fact that she can't live alone. Recently they've been having me come stay the night so that I can be with her during the day while my parents are at work. It's a few times each week. Thursday is the only weekday that my mom has off so she's there all day.
The issue I'm having has to do with the fact that aside from my dad, I'm the only one who actually takes care of the flock. With me being away, the flock isn't able to free range so the egg production keeps dropping because they're not content.

If I leave the coop door to their yard open all the time while I'm away, will this be okay for them?? They will only be allowed to leave the coop into their protected yard if I do this.
Their feeder is completely filled to the exact top. Their 5 gallon waterer is filled and I put a few smaller containers in their yard for extra water.
I also recently refilled the nesting boxes with fresh new bedding.

Anything else that I could provide for them to keep them content while I'm gone??

My younger brother doesn't care what happens to them.
My older brother and his girlfriend keep leaving the house to go stay at her parents' house a few times a week so they can't do anything, plus his girlfriend works during the day while he sleeps.
A 5 gallon waterer should last a couple of days if not longer dependent upon the size of the flock. Large feeders help extend time between tending them. It is a wonderful thing you are doing!
Trying to make others help is impossible and unrealistic. Instead of becoming resentful, forget about their shortcomings and focus your precious mind and time on better things. Sure, I get it! I had three teen boys!
You can also call for a family discussion on maintaining the flock. Perhaps you will receive some support and encouragement. If not, then consider selling the flock and give yourself some peace.
Best to you!

Back
Top Bottom