Will this work?

missfire

In the Brooder
9 Years
Dec 4, 2010
Melbourne, Florida
I have read not to use a refrigerator to store eggs, if I use a dorm type
Refrigerator and put a water pan inside will this keep the eggs from drying
out? I' m trying to figure out how to store eggs in the Florida summer, i.e. Cool not
Cold and not dry them out. I do not have ac, and want to figure this out before
I need it, thanks.
hu.gif

You can refrigerate them, it's best to keep them around 60 degrees while you are collecting if you can. Just make sure you rotate them daily.

Last edited:
When most people put things in the fridge, it is a normal fridge, designed to keep human food viable as long as possible, and is usually 42 deg. F. or lower (40). That should be your human food stuffs fridge.

Now, if you want to store hatching eggs, through hot spells, or for long term storage, then you will have to dial the temp up to around 60 deg. F. like Shelly recommends. DO NOT PUT YOUR YOGURT, MILK, or LAST NIGHTS TAKEOUT LEFTOVERS in that 60 deg. fridge!

One of those little dorm fridges, set to around 60 deg. or even as high as 75 would be fine!

Next...You live in Florida, with no AC. That's the problem you should be working on my friend
wink.png

Just me...I try my best...not to judge, but....Darn it!

Never had AC, my house is surrounded by big Oaks, Lots of windows and ceiling fans, Born- raised in same house. Never been an issue for me
idunno.gif
but I know it is for the developement of the eggs..........
jumpy.gif
Thanks for the info.

Quote:
There are a number of things you can try:

You could pack the eggs inside a plastic box, that would stop them drying out in the air flow.

You could experiment with evaporation, for example, milk can be kept coolish if you hang it in the draft in a cloth bag that can 'draw' water to stay wet, I've used this principle with a 10 gallon wheat beer fermentation and it worked beautifully, see here for a long how-to: http://www.byo.com/stories/techniques/article/indices/19-brewing-tips/950-keep-cool-for-summer-brewing

Or
you can set up a picnic icebox with the right amount of ice bricks (or just frozen pop bottles)

Your problem is mainly temperature control, it's easy to add an iceblock to cook things down if you know that it's too hot. Years ago, I 'splashed' out on a digital probe thermometor that allows me to set an alarm that let's me know that it's either too hot or cold. So far, I used it lots of time, beer, BBQ, candy, quails, plants, sourdough and many other occasions where you need to be semi-exact and it's one of the most useful items that I own.

If I am just holding eggs for a coupla days I put them in a 12 pack cooler and a few Ice packs and they stay right at 60* 2-4 days is all I normally need

Back
Top Bottom