Will this work?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by miss_thenorth, Jun 16, 2008.

1. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Songster

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    I'm thinking probably not, but I thought I would ask anyways. I have a momma hen with two babies, hatched may 26. I have another broody due to hatch June 24. Tomorrow I am getting 10 BRs. Is it possible for me to put these barred rocks in with the broodies, for them to raise as theire own, or do I need to set up a brooder. If I can put in with the broodies, which one do I put them in with? the one already hatched or the one setting on eggs?

Also, how long do I keep momma in with her babies?

2. mmajw

mmajw Songster

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    I would set up a brooder they may not accept the babies and could kill them.
    I dont know that I would chance puting them in with either.

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Crowing Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    If the hen had just hatched the eggs I would say you could try it asthey can often be fooled. At this late date she knows she didn't hatch any more eggs. Most hens will kill the chicks. I wouldn't do it.

4. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    I wouldn't risk the chicks lives.

Set up a brooder.

5. eggz4sale

eggz4sale In the Brooder

Jun 17, 2008
    McLeod, Tx
    I have tried that, and it didn't work. The hen immediately began pecking the new chicks.

6. ruby

ruby Songster

Apr 10, 2008
    Gold Hill, Alabama
    I did it once. Came home with new biddies and a hen came out of the woods with a new brood. I put them all to together, the biggest problem was the new chicks didn't know how to get under the wing at bedtime. I was young and dumb but she raised them all!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: