Will turkeys kill my roo?

TammyP

Songster
10 Years
Oct 2, 2009
SW Wisconsin
I noticed my large roo isn't feeling well....not going by the ladies outside and just sitting down alot. So I went over to him this a.m. and when he got up I noticed his outside toe on each foot is chewed up looking.....looks awful and painful. He's also moulting.

Anyhow.... was thinking something might have gotten in the coop or something ......

I went to tell my hubby and then came right back and he was gone.... literally gone...couldn't find him anywhere. Looked for quite a while and even walked around the property...no go.

After about 1/2 hr I finally spotted him ....he came around the corner of the shed and looked quite paranoidish.... as I observed him .... it was like he was hiding behind the girls and then a couple of my 17 wk old bourbon toms took after him.... poor thing..... chased him all over until I intervened...

Will they kill him? Are they the ones who are attacking his feet?

They have seperate pens and are cooped seperately at night but they free range on the same property during the day. Also, the turkeys seem to constantly go in the chicken coop during the day too so he has no respit in there.....

Any suggestions??

Thank you.

Toms are 17 wk old bourbon reds and rooster is a 2+ year cochin.

~Tammy

Poor rooster. I don't have turkeys so I am not sure, but I have seen others who have turkeys and chickens free ranging together. It sounds like the rooster needs some places get away from the turkeys. Hopefully a turkey owner will come along and give some advise.

Turkeys seem to go after weakness. If you have any sick birds keep them isolated but visible to the other birds until they are healthy and can be reintroduced.

My BR turkey hens have been seen occasionally attacking roosters, and one rooster (2nd or 3rd roo in pecking order and one of the biggest) is singled out the most often. It looks pretty rough and I've separated them. I'm not sure why they do it as everyone has plenty of food, space, mating possibilities, etc. My Tom (R.I.P.) was as sweet as could be.

A friend of mine who has been breeding, showing, judging poultry for many years said turkeys can kill others (especially in the mating department) so if in doubt, I'd suggest separating them.

I would seperate him because he is injured and other poultry (chickens included) will pick on him because of that. But I don't think they would have been going after his toes unless he was perched above them and that was all they could reach. Being the outside toe on each foot is rather puzzling. Does he roost or sleep on the ground because he isn't feeling well? I have to wonder if a rat or something was chewing on him...

Back
Top Bottom