Will you be buying baby chicks next Spring, and if so from where?

Will you be buying baby chicks next Spring, and if so from where?

• Yes, from a hatchery

Votes: 14 16.7%
  • Yes, from my local farm store

Votes: 13 15.5%
  • Yes, from a local breeder

Votes: 8 9.5%
  • No, I am immune to chicken math

Votes: 8 9.5%
  • No, I will be hatching from my own eggs

Votes: 16 19.0%
  • Maaaaaybe

Votes: 25 29.8%

• Total voters
This last year was total craziness for folks trying to find chicks and chickens. I'm wondering if there will be another big rush, or if I can postpone an order for later in the Spring. What are your predictions?
I bought my chicks from the local farm store in late July, and MAY have eggs by Christmas. I was able to brood them outside after a couple weeks, with a warming pad in a box for chilly nights (here in the Pacific NW). My first go with chix. The feed store strongly discourages order by mail/online. I agree. I had ordered 10, and 6 needed up dead. The company refunded for them. Explanation: they used to be sent overnight, now they use 2nd day. For those newly hatched babies to go without food or water for that long is cruel, IMHO.

You can order direct from hatcheries.. They come in the mail.. Believe it or not.. Zeeland, MI is a good place to start.. Think there are two hatcheries there.. Old stomping grounds and great folk.. Bought my last dozen that had outgrown their cuteness at a local farm store.. for a dollar a piece.. Jersey Giants... which are not as docile as proclamed.. They have broken two windows.. Tore up the roost and rearange the egg house daily.. and the rooster apperantly gets his pick. The Banti's are now nonissue.

I started ordering fall chicks a couple of years ago and love it. The chicks get big enough to go outside before cold really hits and are old enough to lay by spring. If I get spring chicks, I spend months waiting for eggs then winter hits and egg laying slows down. So far, so good.
Yes, I raised fall chicks this year for the first time. Worked out great, did not have to worry about keeping them warm for more then 3 weeks or so. They just joined the older gals this week, look forward to eggs, maybe by Dec.

So glad I'm immune to chicken math. :D Already got chicks last spring so definitely don't need more next year. Depending on how our old hens do we might get a few more the following year, but we're pretty close to max capacity right now.
I have chicken math year around, it is terrible. Raised 3 diff set of chicks this year. Need intervention, already dreaming of more in Feb. So many breeds, so little time!!!

I always buy my chicks from my local farm store VikingFeed!
They're always so kind there and they are very knowledgeable about chicks and other stuff.

I had a great experience this year with Townline but preordered some from Murray McMurray to get a variety in breeds. I ordered 18 and already have 15 so my DH said I had to give some to his mom. She’s my crazy chicken lady partner in crime!
:wee:wee:wee
I ordered 3 Salmon Faverolles!!
:wee :wee :wee

They were at the top of my wish list so I’m super excited!
You know the Favs are French and never stop talking, really loud. I love them.

Back
Top Bottom