Will you be buying baby chicks next Spring, and if so from where?

Will you be buying baby chicks next Spring, and if so from where?

• Yes, from a hatchery

Votes: 14 16.7%
  • Yes, from my local farm store

Votes: 13 15.5%
  • Yes, from a local breeder

Votes: 8 9.5%
  • No, I am immune to chicken math

Votes: 8 9.5%
  • No, I will be hatching from my own eggs

Votes: 16 19.0%
  • Maaaaaybe

Votes: 25 29.8%

• Total voters
If you must buy from a hatchery, I suggest Cackle.
I have had great luck with buying from them (when not looking for anything more than hatchery quality that is) because they are honest about breeds, and have a great sexing system. They also have a WIDE variety of chickens and fowl, plus the mortality rate is extremely low. I personally have never had any deaths during or after shipping, and I’ve never known anyone who has. I once bought a fairly good sized box of 12 chicks and all 12 were perfectly healthy and happy!

Breeders will get you better quality chickens, but lots of breeders may have an inaccurate sexing system, but I have no experience with them (what can I say? I go for easy purchase, and hatcheries are just a few buttons to click through ;))

Chicken math is a real thing. Wanted 5 this year and ended up with 17 AFTER sending some to freezer camp. So no more chickens for a while (unless I can start my bachelor pad :fl) but I'm probably getting turkeys in the spring from Cackle through a local store.

I would really like to hatch 2-3 eggs, but the possibility of cockerels.... So I may buy 2-3 pullets next spring from TSC.
The farms that supply TSC claim to have a 90% accuracy in sexing chicks, so be prepared for a surprise cockerel. I ordered four 8-week old pullets and one ended up being a cockerel.

I had a great experience this year with Townline but preordered some from Murray McMurray to get a variety in breeds. I ordered 18 and already have 15 so my DH said I had to give some to his mom. She’s my crazy chicken lady partner in crime!
:wee:wee:wee
I ordered 3 Salmon Faverolles!!
:wee :wee :wee

They were at the top of my wish list so I’m super excited!
ohmygosh I am so excited for you! I ordered 6 Faverolles, but only plan on keeping two. I've never had one but I am o b s e s s e d. They are too cute!

Back
Top Bottom