Will you help me hatch these eggs?

Okay, candling as it was described to me by my elders and how I've always done it. You're going to want to put the light on the rounded end ( this is where you will find the air cell, gets you a better view into the egg. )

First 7 days of development inside an egg ( my experience )

- You will see blood VEINS, not blood rings. Heart beat is noticeable from day 3, if I remember correctly.
- Small blobs visible near the heartbeat are the chicks.
- Clear eggs or eggs with lots of clearer looking spots ( porous ) should be tossed at this time.
- Eggs with blood rings should be tossed at this time. A blood RING is exactly what it sounds like. It's a ring of blood formed around the egg and is obviously blood.
- Air cell will still seem small. "Uneven" air cells can be tossed at this stage, but may or may not hatch now. Pictured is a 'regular' air cell development guide.
- It's best to measure your air cells, maybe even mark them with a pencil. Check that they are growing properly. An air cell that isn't growing/developing is probably a dud.

This is how a chick develops. Give you an idea on what amount of space you should be seeing for what stages of growth.

This egg appears to be between 10 and 12 days to me. Possibly less, but in that area.

As you can see, by day 10 it would be obvious if you had any quitters. You can also probably use this chart to find out what days of development your eggs are at, and find any quitters / bad air cells.

By day 10, chicks are very obvious. Clear eggs should be tossed at this point as they may explode. If no sign of development, toss it. If you're second guessing, let it sit. Use your nose.

You can also 'float' eggs to determine if they're good or not. A bad egg will float. A good egg will produce air bubbles if a live chick is inside. Try not to float often as it can be ( as I am told ) harmful to the embryo.

Generally, fresh eggs will lie on the bottom of the bowl of water. Eggs that tilt so that the large end is up are older, and eggs that float are rotten.

As far as hatching eggs go? - I just don't recommend it. I don't float them. But supposably viable eggs will produce bubbles.

Does any of this help? I know I'm all over the place here.

THIS WAS A GREAT POST FOR EVEN ME TO READ! THANK YOU!
goodpost.gif

Click on my name 3FORFREE above my avatar and scroll down to a pic that says UPLOADS click on that and you will see pics of eggs.

These were my eggs from a hatch this spring.first pic on left definately has some development in it.
the second pic is clear,the third and fourth pic just look like blobs. I had 14 eggs in my bator and hatched
6. Some I marked with a pencil writing NO on it because it looked like a blob, and most had question marks
cause I didn't know what I was looking at.You need a really really really bright light and candle them at night
inside a closet where there isn't any light except the one you're holding to see into the eggs. Mine were brown
eggs and I used a mag light and still had trouble seeing into the egg.
When you turn your eggs put your nose on them and smell them real good, if one's going bad you will be able to tell
and need to toss it, keep an eye on the calendar and don't keep them in more than 21 days as you don't know what day
they were started. Keep the temps up, and cross your fingers. Good Luck

You guys have been so helpful - thank you!

I've candled them several times and never could come up with anything definitive. A couple of days ago, I realized that something was stinking and discovered it was 2 of my "floater" eggs so I got rid of all 3. I finally saw a tiny bit of movement in one of the ones that looked solid. I'm still at a loss as to how far along they are but I kind of put them on lockdown and prayed for the best.

I'm having a problem with humidity, though. For the first few days, it was staying right around 60-65%. Then, a day or two ago, it dropped down to 40%. I've put water in the channels in the bottom, added 3 warm wet washclothes, and put 2 jars of hot water in there and still can not get the humidity to read higher than 50%. Any ideas?

We had a baby hatch this morning! I'm so excited! His legs seem to be really weak, though, so I'm concerned that something isn't right with him. But, he is my first incubator baby so it may be normal.

Back
Top Bottom