Willow the Great Pyrenees

Pics
I know everyone loves to give training advice whether they know what they're talking about or not, but if you don't listen to any other advice listen to this. No matter what method you choose for training, enforce your commands. Give them one time and make the dog listen. I see all the time people that say sit or come multiple times until the dog finally listens. You need to say it one time and if they don't listen immediately they'll keep taking more and more liberty with how long they take to respond, or if they respond at all. If you give a command and they ignore it or delay in responding go to the dog and make her do it, especially if you know she knows the command. If its sit, and she doesn't do it immediately no matter what she's doing, get to her right away and push her butt down, and use an angry tone of voice. Tell her "I said sit", or something similar. And be consistent with it. Other people need to do the same too, either that or tell others not to give her commands. It's better for them to get no commands than be given one and allowed to ignore it.
Consistency is key. If you're having an issue it's usually because there's been inconsistencies in some way. You want the dog to listen to you no matter what. If they never learn it's an option not to they'll never try it. It's especially easy when they're little and you can easily make them obey. Heel is very important too. Teach her to walk by your side, pick a side and always keep her on thar side. You don't want them lagging and you don't want her past your knee. Don't use pressure with the leash, keep it loose and only use short tugs to keep her in that spot. Walk straight ahead and don't look down at her at all. Use a regular leash. When you stop, make her sit. It'll become habit and she'll do it always. Heel is so easy to get them to learn and then a huge dog isn't dragging you all around. Don't use a retractable leash either, just a regular 6 ft leash is good. If you get her solid on heel while she's young and easily controlled it'll be so easy.
She should be doing it perfectly by 10 weeks.
A well mannered dog is a joy to be around and an amazing companion. And it's so easy to do if you start young. It doesn't need to be complicated and you don't have to have fancy equipment.
Anyone with common sense can do it. I trained Avery solely when I was 13 and she was fully trained and hunting by 9 months old. Just as good and steady as any other dog. And it wasn't hard at all. It only took 20 minutes a day, 10 in the morning and 10 in the evening. Since then I've trained two other dogs who turned out the same and helped many others with theirs. I love training dogs, it's so simple and rewarding.
Wow thank you for this advice!

I forgot to mention I'm thinking of signing up for dog obedience classes with her once she's fully vaccinated, I'm in the 4h that trains every week but if I don't think it's good enough I'll do it.
She doesnt have to be fully vaccinated just dewormed and one other vaccine. As she is way to young to be fully vaccinated with her rabies and other vaccines.

Yesterday she had her first real outing, we were gone for 4 hours and she came with us to rural king, a pet friendly restaurant, and a pet store. She did awesome! We got her a new food because I didn't like the other one, the new one is taste of the wild and the ingredients looked great, also got her a beef knuckle, a new collar because the other one is too big, and some different treats

Back
Top Bottom