1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Willow's comb has blood

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Heidi65, Feb 14, 2016.

1. Heidi65

Heidi65 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2015
    Prescott Valley, AZ
    My Coop
    My hubby went out this morning to check on our girls and this morning noticed that her comb is injured. [​IMG] From what I can tell it looks like the injury is from the back. We have a total of 10 hens. Willow is a Buff that we bought, along with 2 other girls, about 1.5 months ago so the pecking order seemed to have already been made.

We don't use chicken wire, just in the isolation coop. Is there something I should put on so the other girls don't pick on her?
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Thanks for any help!

Heidi

Edited because I realized we jokingly refer to them as crowns and forgot to use the correct term in the title

Last edited: Feb 14, 2016
  2. alyssaallycat

alyssaallycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2016
    Never had this problem before, but you should clean and dress her wound before your chickens start to be cannibalistic. You could try adding a bit more protein in their diet (try mealworms or sprouts) to see if the cannibalism is due to lack of protein. Watch for feather picking as well.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by