Sponsored Post Win an Ecoglow 20 Chick Brooder from Brinsea with your best tip for winter!

I wrap a battery warmer pad around the tops of the waterers to keep the water from freezing overnight. Cheap to run and works great.

We will have our first winter this year with our chickens. We have decided to keep them as close to nature as possible. Their coops are draft free and well ventilated and when they are not ranging their runs will be tarped and have wind breaks. We are not artificially heating or lighting and will let them have the break from laying that they deserve. As for water I am more than prepared to refill as needed as that will give me an excuse to have a sneaky cuddle with them !

The outer coop is a metal shed, but my girls have an wooden interior coop as well. The large hot compost box is built against the back metal wall of the outer coop, it generates heat, but is also a great playground for my hens in the winter.

When preparing ways to keep them warm I didn't want to overlook ways to keep them happy and exercised as well. My "semi-free range" flock won't be too happy about their change in circumstance. Predators looking for an easy meal are a big problem in the winter here. We are putting up "toys" in our run,. along with a simple wooden structure or "jungle gym" that they can play on.
Nothing like warm and happy birds!

Last edited:
I will be hatching some new chicks. So I put a two heat lamps and some hay down, so they will stay warm.

Hannah in Ok

To describe my chicken preparations for winter- it can be summed up in two words: STOCK UP! :) In the Fall when temps start to get cooler I start getting what will be needed for snowy winter. Sawdust for in the chicken house/ under the roosts, bins filled with layer feed, chick feed and scratch, collect grit for the chickens (and for spreading in the run for mud control if needed), stack up the hay for nest boxes and run litter and of course have the extra waterers handy for trading out frozen water and fresh water. As temps get lower I start giving the winter treats a little at a time so as not to mess up their digestive tract. Stocking up prepares me and my chickens for whatever winter brings!

We don't have a need for winterizing much in this part of the country but I have planted some green grazing. I planted Crimson Clover and oats for them to eat when they are free ranging and I have planted extra Kale, Turnips and Spinach to feed them. All of these will grow throughout the winter in the milder climates.

We live in south Alabama so it doesn't get too bad. We add extra shavings to the coop, block wind with thick tarps, and put a heat lamp in with the girls on very cold nights.

The best tip I could give anyone for winter for ANY critter is to make sure your animals are well cared for and healthy. Unless you live in a very extreme climate, if your birds are healthy they will get through the winter just fine :)

Back
Top Bottom