Sponsored Post Win an Ecoglow 20 Chick Brooder from Brinsea with your best tip for winter!

I am using materials that will absorb heat throughout the day and help maintain that warmth through the night. Sand as litter, a few bricks or concrete blocks, and large water containers all do the trick.

Well, this year I was going to use whole straw bales for my insulating my new 16X16 coop we are building (just a few more days!) but because of the fact that we are already about $1000 into making it the best coop ever, when I calculated the amount I needed and realized it was $400 worth, we just decided to use wood. However, something great I found at the feed store was ceramic reptile heaters. They are little black things that screw into a regular heat lamp hood, and range from 50-150 watts. This was especially great for us because we live "off the grid" and have to use a generator, battery, and solar system setup instead of using the regular power grid (we are too far into the woods for it to reach us) and we can't run too many things overnight or it will drain the batteries.

I keep the nest box doors sealed enough to keep drafts out and I put some wood shavings in the boxes too. Then I give my chickens a heat lamp and some more fruits like apples and pears on a plate out of the coop... its good encouragement for them! Baby chicks get the little sweater ponchos!! I also "insulate" the bottom of the coop with straw, and keep the bottom of the run full of dirt. The waterer has its heater, and food gets changed up a little. Higher protein due to molting, and electrolytes for vitamins. Gotta Keep those girls healthy! In the brooder, I have it shut off from outdoors, and the heat lamp low, but wire covered. The water is near it, to keep it de- iced, and the food too. Plenty of wood shavings for the babies! :)

Last edited:
Here at our farm center we have learned that winter can be a very stressful time on birds and demand a lot of their systems. To give extra nutritional support we prepare a "Tonic" that is offered along side the water in a heated bowl. The Tonic consists of a water soluble high quality avian viatmin mineral supplement that has a dextrose base, such as NEKTON S or PRIME following labels on dosing, then we dissolve one human dextrose tablet ( Available at any Walmart) into about 8 cups of water.

The birds really love it and it gives their systems extra claories and micro nutrients vitamins and mineral support through the stressful winter months.

We use a horsebarn for the large majority of our chickens, we heat the tack room which where we brood our baby chicks and do any doctoring that may need to be done. We also use it as a place to unthaw any frozen waterers during the night. We use lamps for any juveniles to help keep them warm. Close up any drafty doors or windows.

I have started doing the deep litter method so my girl's won't get cold feet this winter. I have an open air coop with all four sides open. So we plan on covering the outside of the coop with tin roofing so we can have hinges on it to have the sides open on a nice sunny day. My chickens are used to free ranging for most of the day and really don't like to be cooped up all day. They seem to lay better if they get out most of the day.
I live in North Georgia so no need for heat lamps, unless I have eight week old chicks that hatch this winter., Just need to keep the drafts out of the coop and have good ventilation for them .
I have already added the girl's some pine shaving's for their nesting boxes, and I added two new roost's for them.
I will be giving them some extra protein by adding alfalfa pellets to their diet.
I think we will be ready for winter.

Honestly, as much as I love my chickens, I try not to baby them with warm lights. I want them to accilmate to the weather. I lay down straw and make sure they have plenty of food and water. If it does dip below freezing, then I will plug in a light, but I don't want them to be used to the warmth of a light if there is a power outtage.

My coop is wired with a heating lamp to warm the coop I also lay an extra 2 inches of straw inside the coop. I try to monitor the heat inside every once in a wile to make sure it is not getting to warm I will set the heat lamp on a timer to heat for a few hours the shut off the repeat. so the birds dont over heat

It will be my first year I have started by closing windows and I will cover the doors with storm windows a heat lamp to hopefully keep water from freezing. I might also puts "drop" celling in.I have a mcmurry auto coop door so it says it doesn't open if it below 20 out but if it warms up it does

To ready my lovely hens for the chilly winter of ND, we take various steps to ensure their comfort. One thing we have done to our lovely repurposed grainery building is by insulating it very well. We insulated the 16ftx10ft. building using spray foam and covered all the walls in 3 inches of it. This insulation works very well and it keeps our lovely hens warm and comfortable. It will help keep the coop about 30-40 degrees F. warmer.

Back
Top Bottom