Wind and Snow Protection

Thanks. It works. But it was developed by a newbie. So many things I would change. The enclosed run does work well.

Mine too. I've been trying to save $ to build a new run. Mine is several years old and gets run down. And I built it and remodeled it all within my first year of owning chickens so definitely newbie quality lol

Hi, I use construction grade plastic on my coops. It can be purchased at Tractor Supply, Lowes, or Home Depot for about $15 a box. I currently have 5 coops, all were winterized using two boxes of the plastic sheeting. I also use feed bags as sufficient wind break for the winter months.

I composed a blog post earlier today on winterizing coops for the colder months. I will provide the link, it may be of help to you.

https://thekuntryklucker.blog/2018/11/04/ready-for-ol-man-winter/

IMG_3888.jpg

IMG_0892.jpg

Is it completely covered? They need some fresh air. Lol I usually leave a gap at the top. Keeps them warmer and still fresh air flow. Props for recycling feed bags!

Is it completely covered? They need some fresh air. Lol I usually leave a gap at the top. Keeps them warmer and still fresh air flow. Props for recycling feed bags!

I leave a gap as the back of their pen to allow for some air flow. The back is well protected by the wood privacy fence so I do not risk a chill with a lot of cold air blowing on my girls. It is also sheltered from the elements from the coop itself so no rain or snow is likely to drift in either. Disregard all the feathers, molting in progress.

coop back.JPG

Got the plastic on the coops this afternoon. Got new pine shavings inside and in the run. Will add hay to the run all during the winter. Got stock tank deicer plugged in. I think we're ready for winter.

Back
Top Bottom