wind blocks for run

I like to use a few intact straw bales in my run. They break the wind very nicely at chicken height.

This is from last year.

1201201229-jpg.2432861
if i had the space you do i’d give that a shot. i didn’t want to take up any floor space, though, as i only have 8x16.

now i’ve still got 8x16 and places to hide from the wind.

if i had the space you do i’d give that a shot. i didn’t want to take up any floor space, though, as i only have 8x16.

now i’ve still got 8x16 and places to hide from the wind.

They stand up on the bales too so they don't actually take away from the floor space.

If you balanced a pallet across 2 bales you'd add a useful second story to the run. :)

I don't really see bales as decent wind blocks, they are too short, especially where it really get to be winter.
Yeah, but @3KillerBs doesn't get "real" winter! :lau

To OP, yes, those panel work great, as you have found. I have some on the west (prevailing wind) side of my run. I'll be able to take them down come spring, store them, and use them for many years.

I'm using the same shower curtains from last year for a second year. I can tell they have gotten a little more brittle, but they're in good enough shape and should hold up for this season.

They're taller than the chickens.
That's if you assume that wind blows in a straight line that's perfectly parallel to the ground, and blows over their heads above the bales. But that's not how wind works where I live :D And where lots of other folks live (not sure where OP is). Over here, wind blows in all directions, and when it really gets going, it can probably move/flip a dry straw bale (or a chicken!), and that's not counting actual storms. But then again, we're rated the windiest city in the US, so I guess that's to be expected :lol:

Back
Top Bottom