Wind Chill Know How

NickiesChickies

Chirping
Jun 19, 2020
Hi everyone! Question, I have a flock of 6 - 5 black australorps (1 Roo) and 1 buff Orpington They are about 10 months old.
Today it is -11 outside here in balmy Connecticut with the wind chill. It is COLD and WINDY for sure. Gusts about 40 mph. My flock are currently outside in the run hanging in the sun, however, I am a nervous wreck and wanting to bring them into my kitchen. My husband is not on board. Lol.
My question is, their coop is insulated and door is open until 7 pm every day. Am I putting them in the coop on days like today and locking them in there to prevent frostbite or freezing or will they go in if they’re too cold on their own?
Any help is much appreciated.
Thanks all and stay warm!

They will go in if they want to. Do you have anything to break the wind in the run? I have some heavy duty clear shower curtains up on the west side (prevailing wind) and around the sw and nw corners in mine. I have 3 BAs and 1 BO cockerel. They do just fine.

Chickens know how to chicken better than we give them credit for.

They are hanging out in the run because it's a perfect day. They will hang out in the coop when it gets too cold or too windy. Give them a lunch time snack if you are feeling weak and want to bring them in. It will be too stressful and disrupt their laying if you move them or lock them in jail.
Yes been giving them a warm mash of sorts as a treat midday.

They will go in if they want to. Do you have anything to break the wind in the run? I have some heavy duty clear shower curtains up on the west side (prevailing wind) and around the sw and nw corners in mine. I have 3 BAs and 1 BO cockerel. They do just fine.

Chickens know how to chicken better than we give them credit for.
I don’t have a wind break but they’re down hill maybe about 30 ft from my house which does give a windbreak a bit. I think I may put a tarp on one side. My Roo and two hens got a bit of frostbite in December from first snow and windstorm. I left it alone and didn’t fuss with it and it seemed to work it’s own self out. They didn’t seem to be too bothered by it. But yesterday I went in there and rubbed a little bit of olive oil on the Roos comb and waddle. If nothing less he enjoyed it. Lol. #chickenmassagetherapy

I put intact straw bales into the run as wind baffles so that the chickens can be outside with a little shelter from the gusts.

Also, it's important to know that because of the friction against the ground the wind intensity down there where the chickens are isn't as strong as it is for us.

I have seen my chickens outside pecking around during a tropical storm. The wind did not inconvenience them.

When they've had enough of the wind and/or cold they will go inside. Birds fluff their feathers to trap heat when needed and relax them to release it needed. They have built in thermostats we humans could only dream about.

My run is an old greenhouse frame wrapped in wire, and covered with a carport tarp. (Yes, it's just as redneck as you are imagining and only temporary)Its open to the south. Mine hang out in there all day no matter the weather, even well below 0.

Back
Top Bottom