Wind pressure?

Gigicoco05

Songster
Jul 15, 2019
Hi again. Recently where I’m at there has been very strong wind pressure. Because of this it’s getting cold but not cold enough for my quail to be cold I think. It’s around 56 degrees. What I’m worried about is the wind pressure. Could it be to harsh for him? I was worried all night for him but this morning he seemed to be standing and moving just fine. Should I put him inside though? Thank you!

Give your quail boxes or shelters to hide in from the wind.

The wind was so strong last night here that it blew one of my pens partially off of my garden bed. Five of my birds got out, and I was only able to recover 3. The rest were fine.

Oh my, I’m so sorry about that. Could you explain on your boxes/shelters? Because he does have a second story he could go to it’s just that he doesn’t go up there very much.

Oh my, I’m so sorry about that. Could you explain on your boxes/shelters? Because he does have a second story he could go to it’s just that he doesn’t go up there very much.
You can use a cardboard box, a bowl or bucket, flower pot anything really, and just make them little caves. Outside I have cinder blocks, sewer line pvc T junctions, boxes, and plastic storage bins. You can literally just put a small amazon box on its side, or put the opening pointed down, and cut a door in the side. Just use whatever you have around, they’re gonna gross it up anyway.

You can use a cardboard box, a bowl or bucket, flower pot anything really, and just make them little caves. Outside I have cinder blocks, sewer line pvc T junctions, boxes, and plastic storage bins. You can literally just put a small amazon box on its side, or put the opening pointed down, and cut a door in the side. Just use whatever you have around, they’re gonna gross it up anyway.
Ah yea your right. Thank you all!

Quail don’t generally like to climb ramps, but you can try to make it worth their effort. You can put a box of sand or dirt up there, a bowl of treats, mine prefer one feeder over another so I put the favorite one places I want them to go more. I don’t know the size of your ramp, but mine will climb a covered ramp more readily than an open one, you could bend cardboard over the ramp and see if they use it more.

Yes, use anything you have to get them out of the wind. Wind sucks the heat out of their bodies. They can tolerate pretty cold temps as long as they are dry and out of wind and drafts.

Quail don’t generally like to climb ramps, but you can try to make it worth their effort. You can put a box of sand or dirt up there, a bowl of treats, mine prefer one feeder over another so I put the favorite one places I want them to go more. I don’t know the size of your ramp, but mine will climb a covered ramp more readily than an open one, you could bend cardboard over the ramp and see if they use it more.
Thanks!

So I had made a whole little box inside of his cage..but he doesn’t seem to understand what it is. I even put some food there. I was able to kind of push him in a bit and he ate some of the food but he doesn’t seem to like the box or really interact with it. Should I keep it for now or take it out? It covers a bit of space and I worry it makes him feel more closed in.

Back
Top Bottom