Wind-proof material for chicken run floor?

two early

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 21, 2011
We live on a ridge, where we get high winds sometimes. Need a run material that will not blow around and is easy to keep clean. Can regular gravel or pea gravel be used in the run and then hosed down to keep the poo build up to a minimum? We're in Central California, so cold is not often an issue. Suggestions?

I dont know the answer I will be watching but I was wondering about river rock. I saw some pretty river rock that is assorted in color all round smooth surface stones. This would look so pretty and I am forever designing my perfect coop and run in my head. Maybe raised with wire or sand to allow drainage?

Oh yes. That is what I have in my 2 by 4 wire enclosed run. I live in East Texas and added onto my chicken pen this past summer. We were having a drought so I didn't realize it was in a low spot until we started getting some heavy rains.

This yard is about 15 by 25 feet and I had 20 tons of pea gravel delivered. It is great. I didn't use all of it in the run, but did use a lot of it. The chickens love it too. They eat the small bits for grit and love scratching around in it. My pen stays dry even after a yard rain.

Poop is not a problem as a lot of it just gets sifted into it. I have used a garden rake a few times to level it out after my 38 hens have scratched in it.

The river rock is very pretty, I have it in my rock gardens in the yard. i think for the chicken run however, pea gravel would be better suited. It is light enough for the chickens to scratch through and they can get all the grit they need. River rock is too big for that.
They would also still need an area that has sand/DE for sunbathing.

I use leafs but it would be blown around in your situation. A friend uses wood chips, the kind that tree service company always look to dispose of, not one come in bags in the store. So free is a operative word.

Maybe I misunderstood. Is this an outdoor run or an inside run?
I do use coarse pine shavings in my coop. Especially under the roost. I do what they call the 'deep litter" method. Works well. I only clean out the poop/shavings twice a year.

However, I would think that wood chips in an outside run would become a soggy mess after a hard rain and during the rainy season.
It would surely have to be replaced from time to time don't you think?

Maybe I misunderstood. Is this an outdoor run or an inside run?
I do use coarse pine shavings in my coop. Especially under the roost. I do what they call the 'deep litter" method. Works well. I only clean out the poop/shavings twice a year.

However, I would think that wood chips in an outside run would become a soggy mess after a hard rain and during the rainy season.
It would surely have to be replaced from time to time don't you think?

I use latilla shavings, goat bedding (alfalfa straw) and sawdust outside, something dry regions like NM and Central CA valley can get away with trying. I actually look forward to the occasional soggy mess, helps break everything down for eventual composting. My compost bin is actually inside the run...talk about convenient!

My bed's 6~12" deep depending on where you dig. I've actually shoveled holes into the underlying riverplain silt/clay, adding the native soil to the compost to innoculate it and provide a mix of fines. Each hole disappears within an hour. My drainage has seemingly improved quite considerably these past few years: best guess is each hole acts as a miniature holding tank for percolating water, very little surface puddling these days, even after days of torrential monsoon rains.

Thank you all for the replies. Think I'll try the pea gravel and see how it goes. This is for the run not the coop. Appreciate the input.

Back
Top Bottom